'Hybrid' bonefishing rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 'Hybrid' bonefishing rod

josko
10-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I made a cool serendipitous discovery: broke the tip section of my 8 wt (TFO TiCr) rod, and while waiting for a replacement section (It took just 1 phone call for TFo to ship it right to Andros.) , I put on the tip section from my 7 wt TiCr.
The result was a really beautiful rod: it loads up quickly for those short flick casts, and didn't seem to compromise distance much at all. I'd say I prefer this combo for wading, although I'd still go back to the 8 wt tip for those >15 kt wind days, and for skiff fishing, where I don't do nearly as much short-range casting and loop control is paramount.
My point is that the extra tip greatly extends the range of an already great rod. Some have criticized the TiCr 8wt as a line cannon, unsuitable for precise short-range work; well, this tip section solves that problem in style.
Now if we could only get TFO to offer a 7 wt tip section as an alternate tip for the 8 wt...

Swalt
10-22-2007, 06:58 AM
My favorite bonefish rod in good conditions is a TICR-X 7wt using an 8wt line for the same reasons you mention and I didn't have to break it.

striblue
10-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Josko, That's a great discovery.....Also , with the Fly Rod manufacturers STRUGGLING every to come up with new marketing efforts, It would not surprise me to see future new grafit rods include different tip sections along with the purchase of one rod. A new 10 wt. including 3 different tip attachments for example.

vtloon
10-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Shades of many older bamboo rods.

Redfisher
10-22-2007, 05:34 PM
John

Echo rods is already marketing the Echo2 series which comes with A & D tips. The A is a soft tip for accuracy and the D tip is stiffer for distance. Harry from the Nauset Angler told me about them earlier this year.

Dan

striblue
10-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks Dan... That's new to me. I have not stopped in to see Harry for a while. May do so this weekend when I close up the house.

PopnesetBay
10-23-2007, 11:14 PM
John, I think Bears Den also carries Echo2 Rods if Nauset Anglers does not have one in stock. Just for your info, not trying to influence where you go to look. Closed the place in Mashpee last weekend.

teflon_jones
10-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Bear's Den definitely carries them. I cast a few of them when I was looking for a new rod last spring. Head over there and ask Scott to try one out. I tried both tips and the difference was really amazing on the same rod with the lower 3 sections being the same and just a different tip. The A (accuracy) tip is much, much softer than the D (distance) tip. I was close to buying one but found a used Superfine for a really great price that I couldn't resist. :)

Eddie
10-24-2007, 11:50 PM
I think we would be surprised how many rods are "designed" by messing around with sections fromm existing rods.