Fishing in the Storm! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fishing in the Storm!

Lefty
10-12-2007, 02:20 PM
The rain was lashing down. Waves were frothing up white water and suds like you've never seen before. The sand was burning your cheeks as it strikes you with a stinging blast from the wind. You reach back and cast as hard as you can into the headwind..... retrieve, clean off the mung and cast again. You feel a tug, and it's more seaweed. After a while it dawns on you- there are no fish ,no birds, sterile. You ask yourself, "what am I doing out here anyways" So you reel up, go home and watch TV. Oh well.

Any other storm stories?

mikez
10-12-2007, 04:06 PM
This whole weather change has been distracting me for a couple of days now.
Ever since the south wind finally died away the bird migration has exploded. I've seen more hawks, ducks, warblers and assorted other migrants this week than I have since early spring. When those waves move through like that it's a sure bet that the fish are on the move as well. Somehow I get an involuntary reaction that makes me want to migrate right along with 'em.
All day yesterday I swear I could feel the barometer dropping. I kept getting whiffs of salt air on the east wind [30 miles inland:o ].
I layed awake half the night listening to the rain and watching the trees toss and turn outside my skylight. I was having flashbacks of an identical night many years ago when the exact same conditons forced me to get out of bed and drive 2 hours to Watchhill light where the waves on the east side were six feet tall. I hooked up on my first cast and embarked on a 12 hour blitz in which I never left the lighthouse, ate or even sat down. My best bass was 32 lbs. My total catch was high double digits bass and blues and I never saw another angler until well after sunrise.
I had to call in sick the next day to recover.:whoa:
Those were the daze!:cool:
This time around I finally fell asleep and was the first one to show up for work this morning.
It's a binch to be a grownup.:roll:

JimW
10-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Woke up early
Looked outside
Shook head
Went online
Checked NOAA
Looked outside again
Said F- that
Went to work.

striblue
10-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Played 18 holes...by myself ..finished in 2 hours... shot a 93...lost three balls...probably under leaves.... winter rules, no penalty.

Lefty
10-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Went out for the end of the blow last night at sunset. Found a massive schoolie blitz in the river mouth. Landed 10 fish. Wind was howling and the sun made a brief appearance at the edge of the horizon. Wow.

Adrian
10-14-2007, 09:39 AM
I was looking forward to some violent surf and new moon tides last Friday evening. The forecast was for winds West at 15-20 with gusts to 35 mph. The kind of conditions that keep the faint hearted in their cosy dens and brings the big cows within a few yards of the beach. :lildevl:

So, when I looked out across the millpond flat waters of Block Island Sound at my first stop, I made a few soto voce comments about NOAA weather forecasters and made some hasty recalibrations of my strategy for the evening.

Big surf = big fish :D

One from a very rough sea a couple of seasons ago ...
http://www.avsharp.com/mat71304.jpg