Fly Fishing Forum banner

Acklins DIY

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  acklinsboy 
#1 ·
Hey guys new member here.

Headed to Acklins DIY in Nov.From reading old posts I see some of you have been down there.I've been there several times At Greys Pt, and never been below Snug Corner.

I'm wondering how well stocked the local grocery is, and also the availability of petrol? Bahamas air has pretty low weight allowance, 44 lbs so I dont think I'll be able to bring in much, half my bag is filled with bug dope and sun screen.

Also has anyone eaten at Club Rollx. I understand there might be a place to at Pestels.

Appreciate any input..........Thanks CC charlie

#2 ·
Rollex has rooms and lots of fried foods...chicken, conch, fries and thats about it. Vehicles are not available generally unless you rent Felton's house and SUV which most people do and I recommend for diy. You might get a room and small car from Mable at the airport. Gas and food are both easy but expensive at Spring Point. Logistics are the hard part, a flat tire may cost a coupe days of fishing unless you are at Felton's where there is a flat with in walking distance.

#3 ·
Forget Pestell resort--I don't believe it is even open, though I could be wrong.
Grey's Point will serve you dinner--just call ahead to be sure they are available.
Also, Chester's highway Inn in Chesters, north of Grey's Point will serve dinner--again just call ahead to be sure. Excellent food and Arnette and Julius are great hosts.
They may also rent you a pickup truck if available and not being used by their guests. No need to worry about a flat tire at Chester's-they have 3 vehicles and can usually make repairs right there, and they are on an expansive flat--you can see tailers from your window! Plus they have bikes and kayaks just in case.

Grocery stores are not really well stocked, so I always eat out--usually at Chester's or Grey's point. I have heard guys also do well to stay at Feltons which is much further south.
New gas station in Spring Point too.

Have only had beers at club rollex--fun place.

e-mail me if you have any more questions.
Have a great trip!! I'll be there in March--can't wait.

One more thing--don't lose your bahamasair ticket stub for your flight home--they will try and make you buy an new one.

#4 ·
Acklins DIY

Thanks for the input Bob B and Vince.

I'll be at Feltons in Delectable Bay. 1st time in that area though I've been to Greys Pt several times since 2002.

Planning on bringing in some foods primarily for lunches on the flats. I'll def. get up to Chesters for dinner. Greys Pt might be a little sticky as I cancelled with them to go to Feltons (economics).

I'll be there for two weeks Nov- Dec going in on a Wednesday as the last time I went in on a a Saturday I did'nt get my luggage till the following Tues.

I'll give you guys a report when I get back

Thanks .....Charlie

#7 ·
DIY acklins

I've made 6 trips to Acklins since 2002. I've always flown Bahamas Air. Outside of being late I've always arrived on scheduled day. Leave at least 3 hours between connections flying home.

I have had my luggage not show up on Acklins, once for 3 days. try to carry your fishing gear on board including your boots. I've also seen it happen to others. Seems the local's coolers get 1st pref.

I've never chartered in sorry can't help you there.

CC Charlie

#8 ·
JBAG said:
Just out of curiousty ,how reliable is the sheduled air to Acklins/Crooked Island.Is there such thing as a reasonable charter from Nassau?Has anyone chartered?
Bahamas Air has been quite good the past few years, seldom late except for weather, bags usually show up with the flight, but if the plane is full they will often send them the same day on a charter. Just let Rupert at the airport know you are at Felton's and he devlivers the bags. You shoud do well staying at Felton's, his SUV's are reliable as any and there is good fishing within walking distance of the house. It is also close to gas and the store in Spring Point. look me up when you get there if you need a pointer to some flats.

Bob

#9 ·
JBAG said:
Just out of curiousty ,how reliable is the sheduled air to Acklins/Crooked Island.Is there such thing as a reasonable charter from Nassau?Has anyone chartered?
Bahamas Air has been quite good the past few years, seldom late except for weather, bags usually show up with the flight, but if the plane is full they will often send them the same day on a charter. Just let Rupert at the airport know you are at Felton's and he devlivers the bags. You shoud do well staying at Felton's, his SUV's are reliable as any and there is good fishing within walking distance of the house. It is also close to gas and the store in Spring Point. look me up when you get there if you need a pointer to some flats, or a guide for the day.

Bob

#12 ·
Hi guys...
Im listening on this one as well. Heading for Bahamas in March and Acklins is on my radar. Im still in the research phase, and have not finally decided on the destinations yet. Felton's sounds interesting regarding flats in walking-distance. I havent been able to find much info about that place thou. Whats the cost level, Contact info etc?

Anybody else here that happens to be around in March?

Thanks alot
-Lars

#14 ·
Vince from Cattaraugus Creek Outfitters is taking a DIY trip to Acklins March 1-8. I think the cost is 1650 plus air. He's also a fellow member of this forum.

Feltons runs about 1850 with a vehicle. Of course you'll need food and petrol. His place sleeps 4 which would lower the cost. He can be found at vrbo.com, listing # 49576. Greys Pt also does DIY's Cost single is about 1600-1700 a week. They have a kayak or canoe and would probably rent you a veh also.

cc charlie

#16 ·
thanks

Great, thanks Charlie...
Im in touch with Felton and has written to Vince as well.
Have a nice trip down there - look forward to some reports :)

Josko, do you mean Acklins or Bahamas in general? I'll be there in March, so believe its rather safe. Hurricane season runs june-nov AFAIK right?

Whats Noel's forum name? Im not on first name with that many yet, thou signing every post with my own :hihi:

-Lars

#18 ·
Ha ha :chuckle:
Omg, what an ignorant I am. I havent heard about that hurricane yet (media currently only covering the upcoming election in Denmark :wink: ).
Seriously I thought Noel was a member of this forum who was messing around Bahamas-wide.

Sorry about that Bob... Hope you'll have some nice days down there after all. How long are you staying?

- Lars (embarrassed :eek: :eek: :eek: )

#19 ·
Does anyone know what happens if Bahamas Air has to cancel a sheduled flight out of Nassau to Acklins due to weather?

A friend of mine is going down to Nassau today with a flight tomorrow for Acklins,if Noel screws up the flight do they go the next day or make you wait till Saturday?

cc charlie

#20 ·
Bahamasair will cancell all flights at 12 noon today (10/30) and they are not saying when flights will resume. Ground staff will also depart at this time.

Flights will return when the weather permits, I'm told!!!! I don't see that happening before Saturday; 11/03. More than likely, the aircrafts will be taken out of the country.

Presently, on New Providence the weather is fine except for the winds; 25-30 knots. Business continues as usually, with the exception for those who have their hands in the public purse and have taxing authority.

The winds and liquid sunshine will cause some serious delays and change of plans, however, all will be safe and with the right attitiude, still have a wonderful vacation or work week.

This too will pass!

Felton

#22 ·
Not sure Charlie how they will resume. From experience they would be more interested in returning visitors home before and after storms. Too Acklins? Not sure. But this is no storm in the true sense, travel and fishing are interrupted!! Well that a major concern for all on this forum.

Additionally, I spoke with Acklins earlier, only reports coming out is that rains were moderate to heavy during the past evening, however today, it is most pleasant except for winds approx. 20 knots. Persons who can delay for a few days will do very well.

There is uncertainty, as Noel is still on a westly tract and has not begun the expected turn to the north, leaving many questions for all. Here on New Providence (Nassau) its all wait and see! Not much concrete plans can be made now. Last report I saw its over Cuba and will probably be down graded at least for the time being.

Felton

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.