Crease Demise! AKA Flies that Work! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Crease Demise! AKA Flies that Work!

FrenchCreek
10-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Well it was bound to happen. I received this fly, actually two of them, as a swap fly a few years back. One succombed to local pike and I kept this one for a future trip to the East Coast. A few weeks back, on a dull and foggy morning, me, Capt. Ray and my son Chris headed out on Narry Bay to chase Blues. I much prefer to chase FA and Stripahs but a good dose of the Blues is always in order when I go out to the East Coast. So here we are, fogged in and no fish to see blitzing, but a few hours into our marauding and the sun starts to break up the fog and cloud cover so we got into some blues. I simply love to get those bad boys on the surface, there is something unique about their attack on crease flies. So after releasing 4 fish on the same fly, she did not look real good but still fishable. Number 5 blue actually broke off and I was devastated at losing my one and only remaining, albeit seriously injured, crease fly. But the gods were smiling on me, because as I was wiping tears, I saw my buddy come floating up behind the boat. A little maneuver and it was back on the boat. Seriously injured to the point of not being able to cast it anymore, I had to do a quick repair job by wrapping and tying some mono around the detached portion of the head, and away she went again, for a further 4 fish. It was her lucky day because we had to head in around noon to catch a flight out.
I wish I could say thank's to someone for this pattern but I dont know who tied this one, let it be known that as sad as she looks, she now rest in my box of favorites, alongside other famous flies that catch fish consistently!

Dble Haul
10-12-2007, 08:03 AM
That is one seriously battle fatigued warrior. For a crease fly, it sure caught plenty of bluefish.

Adrian
10-12-2007, 08:06 AM
That one deserves to be mounted in a case! :smokin:

Hawkeye
10-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I got that same fly in a swap and it is the fly that took my only albie at the bone clave this year.

Penguin
10-12-2007, 09:48 AM
WOOD CHIPPER ?!

RayStachelek
10-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Pete,

After watching you invoke bluefish at will, you have restored my interest in using a floating line again. Up till now, I may have used 'em for worm and krill conditions only. They were gathering dust.

Me seeing you bring those toothy critters to the surface was awe inspiring. You
sure can teach a old dog new tricks.

Not sure about your catch and release program. That's when the blue breaks off at boatside and he later spits the fly out. That actually happened... guys!

That's whay French Pete is called "The FISH GOD!" in northern Rhode Island waters.