: BONECLAVE 2000
Some of us have been collaborating about BONECLAVE 2000, here are my ideas (feel free to chime in):
- This is, and always should be a gathering for ALL New England anglers. There are a few web fishing hosts now, and many non-web groups, and this clave should have no boundaries about any of that. The requirement to attend - a love for fishing.
- As usual, we will contribute database signups and a share of the logistic responsibilities. Other responsibilities will be shared by the other hosts/sponsors/groups to even the load.
- We might consider a slightly earlier schedule to target the bonito more effectively. The albies were a blast, and the bass were a kick, plus those big blues in the rip were fun, but - afterall it is the "BONE" clave.
- Host/Sponsor groups will work to include more sponsorship from businesses. Special thanks to Blue Northern Trading Co, who responded with prizes last year. We should have a serious gathering / dinner with drawings and prizes from the businesses we support with our buying dollars. Last year it was really hard to leave the fishing for anything like this, but we'll just have to pry our fingers off the rods and reels for a couple of hours http://220.127.116.11/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif
It's a bit down the road but it won't hurt to start thinking about it early. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the topic, and I look forward to keeping the BONECLAVE tradition going stronger every year!
when did you think you might plan it for? (ballpark?) Tom
04-21-2000, 02:38 PM
The mother of all Saltwater Claves returns! Last year we went on the weekend after Labor Day right? Well Labor Day weekend is probably out (Sep.2,3,4). So the question is..how far back into Aug are you looking? Not too far I'll bet. The 2 weekends before Labor day are Aug. 19 and 26. Washburns Island may be tough before labor day. Need to nail down date ASAP so we can stake ot out on the calender as Non Negotiable with THE BOSS.
I hope it goes off without a hitch and that the various boards can get along (that means you too Reel-Time).
And if some kind of tension develops, screw it, we'll have an Albie Clave. Peoples desire to fish runs way above their desire to promote or defend their favorite web site. Thank God fishing still is number one.
04-21-2000, 04:36 PM
In February at the Marlboro FF Show I had lunch with Mark. He also mentioned securing the campsites at Washburn Island before Labor Day weekend for another Bonclave. But Larry made a good point not to go before Labor Day because of the summer crowds and much heavier boat traffic. I can't think of anyone that knows that area better than Larry.
Where's Brian C. these days?
I vote for fishing over board wars! Just my.02
Brian C... the Clark Kent of albie fishing? I hope he's well and planning to attend.
Tom - I'm gonna have to think that over and do some research before setting a date. Jeff Smith has proposed that we work together on this, so I don't want to speak without his thoughts on the matter.
Although we slammed the albies, there was a heck of a lot of WASABI kicking around that didn't get used!
... unless you count Aaron's "bone" http://18.104.22.168/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif
04-21-2000, 08:07 PM
Ah, a classic catch 22, can't catch 'dem bones after Labor Day, can't secure base of operations for the clave until after.... hmm, we need some creative thinking here.
What about a mid-week event? Might be easier to secure the Washburns site(s). Less vacation-type traffic (on and off the water). Puts more emphasis on the ability to juggle work schedules.
One-day Bone-Blitz. We'll boogie 'till we drop (maybe have a mid-day onthewater lunch break and retire to a pre-arranged watering hole and carbo station for a recap of the day. Choice of site contingent upon the quality of their wasabi. Less logistical pressure without the campsite but a decided drop in the potential comraderie.
04-21-2000, 08:56 PM
My vote, Go for after Labor Day, less hassels.
Rename it the Albie-Clave (if need be).
BTW: We booked a cottage on Bass River with its own boat dock for the week of 8/26
04-21-2000, 10:03 PM
Good job Bob P., Now yer thinking! I like that midweek thing. How about Sun till Tues. That's almost what it was last year. That also avoids the Waquoit Wackys too. (no fun getting rammed in the channel remember?)
Yo Juro, you sure did open a pandoras box.
Bob's idea for weekdays is a great alternative. When I set up the camping arrangements last year there was definitely a better availability of sites mid-week.
If I recall correctly, we discussed this last year and decided to accomodate those who could not take the time off mid-week. Nonetheless, if we make it a weekday event it would definitely open up the options. We'll need to look at how it would affect those limited to weekends.
I'll call the Waquoit folks and investigate.
i'm so outta here
04-22-2000, 09:51 AM
Mid week would work for me but only if it's the week of Aug. 26 through Sept. 3. We are going in on the same cottage with Greg and his wife. I doubt I could get away from work on either side of this vacation.
Whatever we decide, I volunteer to do the signup (unless someone already has that covered -- if so, let me know if I can help).
As to tensions, let me just say this as forthrightly as I can. I'm not in this for fame or fortune. At the slightest hint of inter-board, inter-site tensions, I will bail. I refuse to harm the people and things I love, and I whole heartedly second Juro's sentiment that this clave is about the fishing.
Here's hoping the rain ends by then http://22.214.171.124/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif
04-22-2000, 11:49 AM
Just the kind of thing I need to think about on a rainy and cold Saturday! Man am I ever in on this one no matter when it gets scheduled. I volunteer, and while I'm at it I'll volunteer my brother as well, for the food meister position. If that is not available or someone else would like to try their hand I'm open to accepting other responsibilities. Perhaps we should form a committee on influencing the weather. I just got some new Dry Plus rain gear but I'm not that anxious to use it!
04-22-2000, 06:13 PM
I was just reading Al's post. I guess if it was Mid-week on the week of 8/26, we could fish the mornings with you guys & not get the wives too angry. From Bass River to Wacky by boat is probably 20-30 minutes, no problama!
Greg and/or Al -
Do you mean w/e 8-26 or starting?
You mean....I'm missing the BoneClave again! I'll be suffering on the Vineyard the last two weeks of August through Labor Day weekend. Boo hoo! :)
04-25-2000, 12:56 PM
>we could fish the mornings with you guys & not get
>the wives too angry
Sure...I guess that opens up 2 slots for the Boneclave http://126.96.36.199/images/flytalk/TooHappy.gif
They will simply bring up our day in Rhody and say: "You had your day..."
I shouldn't talk, I'll probably have something like a wedding or a T-Ball championship come up that week doohhhh...
Actually, I wouldn't rule out someone buzzing over to pick you up! We were all over the island during the clave.
The dates are not final, so don't write it off just yet. That flyrod is begging for a tunoid spanking! http://188.8.131.52/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif
04-25-2000, 10:22 PM
Week beginning August 26th. We'd be coming out of Bass River; we (or somebody) could make the MV detour to pick up Doug. My brother is also looking into an Offshore trip for that week.
I'll be on the Tashmoo jetties waitin'!
I've got to work out the plans to be on Vancouver Island around that time to meet Smitty in beautiful British Columbia on a fall classic tour - dry flies and steelhead, Haig-Brown's estate, ocean coho, all the trimmings. I'll either go out west early enough to come back to make this clave, or leave after the clave. Either way there will be no missing this clave. Gotta work it all out. A lot to think about and the fish haven't even shown up yet!
First on the radar - Terry's Spring Clave. I hope the weather changes quick, I'm starting to worry about the timing due to the delay.
04-26-2000, 08:01 PM
My brother just called me, our offshore trip is set for Tuesday August 29th. But the entire rest of the week 8/26-9/2 works for me.
06-23-2000, 03:22 PM
Ahem...just dusting off this old thread. Time to start thinking about dates again.
Yes definitely! But there are challenges...
Washburn's waterfront site has been totally booked. We would need to have alternative lodging arrangements or focus on the outing w/ free-form lodging. Optimistically speaking cancellations are possible and we might squeeze in at the last moment... but it would be prudent to devise an alternate plan for lodging.
Let's learn from the past and form a clavemeister team. We know this is an awesome event, well worth all we put into it - and it needs to be run a little more formally (but not too much). I will do everything I can but we will need people with ideas and a little time to give to make sure our strategy for BONECLAVE '2000 goes well.
Here's a suggested progression of events:
a) brainstorming / open discussion to determine <b>when</b> and <b>where</b>
b) formation of a meister team to define <b>how</b>
c) delegation of tasks to team / volunteers
d) publication of plan and status
e) clave, baby!
Yeah I know it's vague but many of you have said too much formality spoils the fun, and a basic agenda helps me get going.
First step: brainstorming...
06-28-2000, 10:53 AM
Man I'm glad I found this thread. Count me in on the festivities. I'm also willing to help coordinate what I can. Let me know what I can do to help out. Transportation, food coordination or whatever. I've got three vacation days on hold until we settle on a date.
06-28-2000, 11:37 AM
Forgive my ignorance on the BoneClave as I was not in the area at that time last year but how do people get paired up with someone with a boat, if they would like to do that ? Is it pretty much up to the person to seek that out ? My thinking is that there may be some boat folks who would be more than willing to have someone share or pick up the costs of gas, etc.. in order to be afloat with them...
Any thoughts ??
06-28-2000, 12:22 PM
Mike and I would enjoy hosting a clave planning evening either at our home or office in Scituate. I don't know how conveniently located we are to the rest of the clavers but we are ready willing and able.
We used an electronic roster / sign-up form care of Al Deluca to get inventory of boats and riders. I assigned riders who weren't already on a boat to the spaces available on thje various boats, keeping in mind things like gear preferences as they applied. It was amazing how well it worked out!
That sounds great! Is the objective to meet up to try to resolve the current date/locale issues -or- is it best to decide date/locale interactively here on the BB and then plan the logistics around the chosen location over at your place?
I ask because if we are trying to nail a locale then we need to meet very soon; otherwise we could schedule such a meeting in mid/late July.