Jack Charlton Mako Reels [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Jack Charlton Mako Reels

petevicar
10-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Does anyone know where I can get one of these beauties.

Pete

jimS
10-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Available thru selected dealers supposedly in November. Jim Williams and Jake Jordan are two of the dealers. You might google Jack Charlton for additional info. From what I have heard, they are lighter, have a smoother drag and will be priced similar to or below Abels and Tibors. Type II anodization is standard, while type III is at additional cost.

jimS
10-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Jim Williams and Jake Jordan will be two of a small cadre of dealers for the Mako.

FredA
10-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Thier are a couple of threads on these reels at stripersonline, in the flyfishing forum. Sounds like they will be available the end of november with orders being taken toward the end of October. Availability will be through a limited number of dealers and an e'commerce site.

They'll probably be a bit pricey for my still under control "better" judgement, but they sure are swell to look at.

MNTrout
10-08-2007, 08:48 AM
justreels dot com

or wait and buy direct when the website is up and running, makoreels dot com or something like that

it should be up soon

JR SPEY
10-08-2007, 09:34 AM
They are not actually available yet. Prices have not been determined nor have dealers gotten all the specs. Jack plans to have about six dealers across the country as well as having an e-commerce site eventually. Wherever you've seen them to know they're beautiful also ought to be to take care of you within the next week or so. The two places that feature the reel on their websites that I know of are Jake Jordan and Just Reels. Jack also spoke of dealers in Oregon, Arizona, New Jersey, and Michigan. What he actually finalizes, however, may be different.

josko
10-09-2007, 08:43 PM
What will this reel do that a 'regular' offshore fly reel, such as a Penn 4, won't?
I can attest first-hand that a Penn 4 is completely adequate for landing mako sharks.

JR SPEY
10-10-2007, 02:15 PM
The Penn #4 might be capable of landing anything that's possible to pursue with a fly rod. Of course, they haven't been available new for several years. The Charlton is quite a bit lighter, has a significantly larger frame diameter, has configurable spools on some models, has a truly sealed drag/clutch mechanism, and with the type III anodizing option has a hand polished finish second to none. Charltons have also consistently been good investments. There are other differences, but you get the point. Is this enough for people to decide to spend $695.00 and up? I don't know, I guess it's up to them. You are getting more reel with a Mako, but only you can decide if you're willing to pay for the added features.

burk
10-10-2007, 08:15 PM
What will this reel do that a 'regular' offshore fly reel, such as a Penn 4, won't?
I can attest first-hand that a Penn 4 is completely adequate for landing mako sharks.

It will weigh less, but then the anchor for an Aircraft carrier weighs less!:)

Actually the Penn is a fine reel, solid, a little heavy, but a great value, especially the used ones. The Charlton, (if it's comparable to the old ones) will be lighter, has a sealed drag, that will have more adjustment range, has better fit and finish, better anodization, smoother, and will be worth thousands of dollars on ebay in a few years. In other words MORE then completely adequate.:smokin:

sean
10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
The penn 4 is discontinued...

-sean

Bob Reynolds
10-12-2007, 09:34 PM
I noticed the makoreels page now works.

petevicar
10-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.
I weakened and ordered a couple.

Pete