Miramichi/Cains Report 9/29-10/2 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Miramichi/Cains Report 9/29-10/2

Smolt
10-04-2007, 03:02 PM
I made my annual Fall trip to NB and fished 9/30-10/2 on the Main SW Miramichi and the Cains.

The good news is that the weather was beautiful. The bad news is that the weather was beautiful. The rivers were very low and needed water to get the Fall run started in earnest.

More good news is that, even though the run had not started in earnet, some fish were being caught at Big Hole and as far up as Porter Book on 10/1. These fish were big and most of them were bright. The largest was a 39" dime bright hen. The bad news is that I wasn't fishing in either place and those fish were not being caught by me.

I did get a chance to explore and found some truly beautiful new spots to fish on both rivers when the water is right. I also had the time to visit with friends up there, which is always pleasant.

When I decided to take the trip, knowing the water was likely to be low, I said I would be happy if I hooked one fish -- which I did at about 6PM on the evening before I left. It was a very strong hook-billed male that I estimate went about 10 pounds, give or take two pounds. It hit the "Green Slime" fly I was using very hard at the end of the swing of a 75-ft or so cast in very shallow water. It immediately peeled off all my fly line and about another 50 feet of backing, jumped, continued downriver moving closer to the shore, jumped again, and was gone. This is the first fish to take me into my backing in at least three seasons. I had the fish on for my favorite part of the fight, and am a happy camper.

One of the fellows with whom I was fishing asked if the fish was a grilse. I explained to him that while I land the occasional grilse, every fish I loose is a salmon.

For those of you who are interested, this season and next, the Cains will stay open through October 31. If the area gets some rain, I would not hesitate to go back if I could find the time. We also saw quite a few grouse when driving the logging roads near the Cains, so those of you who hunt could combine some salmon fishing with some bird hunting.

Earle Fletcher
10-05-2007, 12:41 PM
A group of 4 of us fished the lower Miramichi River from September 15 through 21. We landed 20, most of them salmon. The water was low and cold, usally ideal for our pools which are the first ones above tide water. When there is a run on, we know it, as we will see a lot of jumping, splashing and rolling as they travel through our pools. We saw very few. We even had a 6 inch raise of water that seemed to move only the fish already in the river. We did catch 4 fish with sea lice and 4 "hook bills" with coloration indicating they were probably headed for the Cains River. We can't complain, but it should have been a lot better.

The DFO trap net numbers for the S. W. Miramichi, which also includes the Renous and Cains rivers, through September 30, are quite dismal. Only 60% of the salmon and 50% of the grilse numbers as compared to last year. What really make these figures even more dismal is a record amount of smolts left the system in the spring of 2006 which should have produced a record grilse run in 2007. With a few exceptions, salmon runs are down in Labrador, Newfoundland, Quebec and New Brunswick. I'm worried!

Earle Fletcher

Salar36
10-07-2007, 09:10 AM
October 31st? :eek: Last time I went on the Cain around October 7th, we were right in the middle of a spwaning activity...Saw a big hen losing all her eggs when being caught by an angler. I understand at this moment it was unusualy soon, but to close on October 31st in NB, I think it is just crazy! NB and Miramichi system is not Nova Scotia...