Flyfishing Connecticut [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flyfishing Connecticut

flyjkol
09-24-2007, 09:14 PM
I visited a friend in New Haven this past week and took a few days off to flyfish some local rivers.
In total I spent two days on the Housatonic and one on the Middle. The fishing was tough throughout and I ended up catching a couple tiny smallmouth bass out of the Housatonic in a BWO hatch. The trout were there, though, as I ended up missing one on a BWO cripple and another on a black-nose dace.
It sounded like the week was tough fishing for everyone, low water and picky fish.
Beautiful area though.

teflon_jones
09-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Where on the Housatonic were you fishing? And what time of day? Were there many other people on the water?

millerbrown
09-25-2007, 06:58 PM
You should try the Farmington River in CT. Cool water and even flows. I camped at Austin campground the weekend of 9/07 and had great action, especially in the morning, fishing tiny flies for those great browns. I've fallen in love with that campground stretch!!!!!! The fly that worked the best was a BWO emerger #18.

I'd like to go again this Fall if I can pry myself away from the Millers in Ma. where the surface action for browns the last two weeks has been awesome.

Millerbrown

flyjkol
09-29-2007, 12:46 AM
teflon-
I fished both the morning and evening in the TMA between Cornwall and Housatonic Meadows. Most of the hatch came off just before dusk and the morning fish were completely uncoorporative. Most of the holes had someone on them during the weekend, but I only saw one other person midweek.

millerbrown- I was under the impression that the Farmington was very very heavily fished. I was hearing horror stories of hour long lines to fish individual beats and shoulder to shoulder casting.... But I think I'll have to give it a shot anyway next time I'm out there....

SDHflyfisher
02-19-2008, 12:07 PM
it is like that at places but there is so much water to fish if you put in the foot work you will find yourself alone