Orr's Island Maine 10/13 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Orr's Island Maine 10/13

Smcdermott
09-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Can anyone give me some insight as to what fishing opportunities there would be around Orr's Island the weekend of 10/13. I will be there for a wedding on Sunday and would possibly have Saturday morning to fish. Any guide reccomendations certainly welcome.

Thanks,

Sean

juro
09-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Orr's and Baileys are very rocky and tough from shore but the inlets are usually good striper fishing for those in the know in August thru about now, not sure about October but there will be lots of mackeral around then. I worked with tuna chunkers fishing giants but don't remember the season up there, you'd probably know better than I.

I used to work on databases for the USS Arleigh Burke years ago in Bath and stayed in Brunswick.

Lobster is excellent all year :)

titleguy
09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Could be good, could be dead. Mid October is getting the end in these parts. Totally dependent on the weather- lots of westerlies will blow out the bait and the wamr water, leaving only the macks around. Check with the Tackle Shop on India Street in Portland or Eldredge Brothers in Cape Neddick, they may have some info. Also flyfishing in maine dot com may have some info for you. That area is fishing very well right now.

Smcdermott
09-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys. Seems like everyone is of the same opinion that it will be hit or miss. A few guides have offered to book last minute trips based on weather/fish so I will keep there numbers handy and make a game-time decision. Tough to be leaving my neck of the woods for a weekend that time of year.

Sean

Dble Haul
09-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Tough to be leaving my neck of the woods for a weekend that time of year.

You said a mouthful there. :wink:

titleguy
09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
One thing about both Orr's ( and Bailey's Island for that matter) is they are a bit difficult to get to. As the crow flies you're very close to Brunwick, Portland, etc. But as the car drives, not so close. I fished at the head of tide in the Kennebec last night watching keeper sized bass crush juvie alewives coming through a dam. I ldr'ed one fish that was well into the 30s ( inches) and saw a picture of a 51" 43lbs fish caught in this spot last October. :whoa:

mikez
09-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Sean I have excellent contacts [family] in the area. I should be able to give you up to the minute intel on the striper fishing as the day approaches. Although they will be in the woods by then, they should know the latest. My brother does alot of yak fishing very close to there.
Of course if you'd rather sit in a deer stand or shoot grouse over a german shorthair, I'd be able to set you up in style!:smokin: