Seychelles [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Seychelles

doctorsteve
09-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Who's been there? Just looking for any pointers. We're going to Farquhar in the spring. (Easy, Vince, it's just me.) I'm just wondering what to expect while we're fishing for GT's. I've seen them at Christmas Island before, and it's really somthing to see them cruising across a shallow flat. They're nothing like permit, that's for sure. I just read this month's Fish and FLy's GT article and I'm getting really psyched to go

petevicar
09-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Hi Steve
Have a look at my avitar.

Pete

Mat M
09-28-2007, 05:17 AM
Pete,

That is a huge fish. How big? What gear were you using on that. Saw a heap of 50lb+ GT's on the flats of New caledonia recently but couldn't drag myself away from the bones to pick up the 12wt.

Steve,

12wt and a reel with a great drag and a work out in the gym before you leave. Good fighting technique is required to break the back of a GT. Low rod angles, fight through the but of the rod. They are stubborn buggers. Even the small ones.

Regards
Mat

Swalt
09-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Check out www.liquidhorizon.co.za. Graeme has a couple of articles on GT fishing.

petevicar
09-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi Matt
You can find details of the fish under a thread called "GT from the Seychelles".

Pete

Vince
09-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Doctor Steve, we will be with Graeme all week--he's certainly an expert on the GTs. I can't wait to fish with him on Farquhar.

Swalt
10-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Vince,
Tell Graeme, Walt in NC says cheers. I have yet to make it over to SA or the Seychelles to fish with Graeme but he did fish with me for a few days on a trip he made to the USA. We fished in Charleston SC and he added a redfish and speckled trout to his list of salt water fish landed. I think he said it was in the 60's or maybe 80's but I am not sure about that. He is a talented, tireless and fearless fisherman. You guys better be ready to fish hard.