lookin for a lil info for the first steelie trip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: lookin for a lil info for the first steelie trip

New Creek Ninja
09-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Awe man ... Happy Birthday to me ...mid october is the time so I have herd .. this is gonna be an awesome trip ..... looking foward to doing battle with a few fish .... but don't know the area .... I live in West Virginia and was gonna travel to new york to bust a few ....well ... I guess what I am getting at is .... good water .... where can a man cast a rod inbetween WV and NY to have a good day with the future father-in-law ..... also fly selection .... I have my normal WV trout assortment (always in the car for the spur of the moment trip) don't know if steels will take a size 18 BWO.... or better than info .... a guide for a day (I guide myself ... but these fish know me by name down here) .... only gonna have a few days on the water and would like to make the most of em ... I'll take all the help and info on the subject I can get to make the most of my trip.

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy A.K.A The New Creek Ninja

geardaddy37
09-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Drive to Michigan! YOu're within 14 hours of some of the best anadromous and salmonid flyfishing in the world! YOu can have your pick of Steelies, Pacific Salmon, Coho's, or Brown trout...guide service is usually available, and the motel in Baldwin is very reasonable. Here'sthelink; http://www.fishbaldwin.com/Forum/index.php
YOu've got the Pere Marquette, the LIttle and big Manistee, the Betsie, the White, and the Muskegon to choose from! It's worth the extra drive. check it out!

shotgunner
09-17-2007, 08:01 AM
If I was in your shoes I'd be looking at Lake Erie tribs. Your chances of connecting will be higher and they are closest to you. check into the optimal time frame, mid october would be a touch early in Michigan.

Plenty of good guides. Fly reference, sift through the archived patterns here for some good ones.

New Creek Ninja
09-17-2007, 08:25 AM
thanks for the info .... I have been doing a bit of research at the WV hunting and fishing expo (I was at the wisp outdoors booth if you were there) .... again thanks and any additional info would be nice.

Thanks,
Jimmy

shotgunner
09-19-2007, 05:42 PM
New Creek Ninja, check personal messages.