Grand Cayman guides [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Grand Cayman guides

Geordie Shanks
09-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Hello brothers,

I apparently am going (against my better judgement) on a mother-in-law sponsored cruise next March to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Me and my wife did the same cruise about a decade ago, and at that time I tried to dig up a guide but had no luck. I was fairly new to bonefishing (although I have some modest experience since then) and took a bus down to seven mile beach and schlepped it up with no luck. Looking back, obviously the wrong spot.

I think our time in Grand Cayman is limited to maybe 5-6 hours, but I was hoping someone on here knew of a guide there that would be willing to take me out bonefishing for that limited time. I understand there are some limited, but supreme flats on GC, and I want to try my best to take advantage of them. Any input and/or contact info would be appreciated.

If anyone has any other insight on any type of fly fishing on the other two places, that would also be appreciated. I am game for any type of gamefish on a flyrod. It seems that Cozumel and Jamaica both just drop off into the ocean, with limited to no flats, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the help.

Mat M
09-28-2007, 05:08 AM
Hi Mate,

Have fished Cozumel and there is some nice bonefishing on the Northern end of the island in the mangrove lagoons. You need a guide to access the lagoons.

A nice bone from Cozumel

09-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi Geordie

Here is a quote from Adrian in reply to a similar request:

"Do a search on "Cayman" and you will find some good info.

One of our forum regulars "Bonehead" guides down there.

If he doesn't pick this up, try sending him an email."