Boga grips and Atlantic Salmon [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boga grips and Atlantic Salmon

Guernseybass
09-12-2007, 07:35 AM
does anyone use a Boga type device to hold the fish in the water while they remove the fly before releasing the fish ?

I do this for Stripers and i was wondering if this is better for the fish than netting (in a wet net), beaching or tailing the fish.

but i am thinking would this damage a Salmons mouth ?

a boga is obviously easier to carry than a salmon net when wading mid river too.

I'd appreciate peoples thoughts.

Mark.

ps - off to the Cork Blackwater on the 21st. ;)

juro
09-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Meaning no disrespect, I hate bogagrips except on boats for bluefish or barracuda.

To your point it might be better than a tailer, which I think is used for fish to keep and eat; and the damage a nylon mesh net would render also needs to be weighed into such a comparison...

However, I land my steelhead and salmon gently in the shallow water at shore where the water and gravity allows me my moment of celebration and a gentle release.

There are nets made of proper materials now that are supportive and not abrasive in fact they are required in some regions by regulation.

I use my thumb for stripers which is far more lightweight, acurate and reactive to a stripers maw than a metal contraption.

The thought of a salmon twisting with it's jaw in a metal vise... :Eyecrazy:

No offense intended, just voicing one opinion as I am sure others will chime in.

Dble Haul
09-12-2007, 08:00 AM
The only fish that I ever use a Boga on are those with teeth (i.e., pike and bluefish). I personally see no need to use one on other fish that can be lipped or cradled, or even left in the water while the hook is turned out of their jaw with a set of pliers or hemostats.

Guernseybass
09-12-2007, 10:22 AM
no offence taken Juro - it was an open question and i appreciate all answers.

I have never done it, but i have a small copy of a boga that i was thinking of using - i have never tried to lip a salmon, in late fall don't they have teeth with that kype (assuming its not female) ?

on my fake boga i have covered the ends in softex to lessen the impact of the metal - why they don't come with rubber ends i don't know . . .

cheers

Mark.

Penguin
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
IMHO...
How you use the "management tool"...
The BOGA allows you positive & safe control...
If the fish rolls, the head swivels...(can't speak for the copy catz)
Minimize jaw stress and internal damage...DO NOT lift the fish out of the water with it!...:tsk_tsk:
As for those lost, insecure souls who must hoist the fish to eye level while they mess with their bi-focals to read the almighty poundage...:eek: The scale is for people with small egos and an even smaller p*n*s...:roll: In my experience, they are commonly DEEP WADERS as well! :razz:
Properly employed...The detainee remains in the water while the hook is removed and is then gently pointed into the current to clear the senses before a minimally-invasive release...:biggrin:
...the BOGA maneuver can be a win-win...IMHO

juro
09-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Truly a classic Pengiun post! I love it.

Good point about the swiveling. Do they make a rubber-lipped U-joint version? ;)

Willie Gunn
09-13-2007, 11:34 AM
In Ireland your gillie will have it dispatched before you get time to get the hook out.

Guernseybass
09-13-2007, 12:41 PM
In Ireland your gillie will have it dispatched before you get time to get the hook out.

I would hope not willie - the vast majority of fish are returned now for good reason.

Willie Gunn
09-13-2007, 12:46 PM
I would hope not willie - the vast majority of fish are returned now for good reason.

I hope you are right, but I still see too many pictures of dead fish coming from Ireland.

Old habits die hard, worming and prawning to ensure fish are caught.

http://www.ireland-salmon-fishing.net/Galleries/2007/gallery2007/august/2007galleryaugust5.htm

macspey
09-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Hey Mark,
If you're planning to release your salmon, you surely won't need a Bocagrip or similar. Where I fish mostly (the Canadian Maritimes), "tailing" your salmon is part of the endgame, and even a net is seldom seen or used. Here's a pretty good description of 'tailing',,,

http://www.novascotiasalmon.ns.ca/fishinginns/catchandrelease.htm

Good luck on the Blackwater!
macspey

J. Marcus
09-16-2007, 10:05 PM
There is only one fish landing and release device I know of that has been tested for mortality rate and that is the "Landing Hand" that Seth Norman distributes. When he was developing it there was a serious problem with landing mortality in Sea Run Cutthroat up North. (It was either B.C. or SE Alaska--sorry I can't recall--he explained this to me a few years ago.) A series of tests were done using either the landing hand or a net. The survival rate with the landing hand was excellant, while the nets flunked. I use one and it helps me to be extremely gentle with the fish. I'm not sure where you can get one, but some of the major fly fishing outlets carry them.

Keep 'em swimmin,"

J. Marcus

wrke
09-17-2007, 06:25 AM
I agree with Seth's landing hand. A great product and very positive, yet gentle grip for tailing. I always have mine with me.

juro
09-17-2007, 08:29 AM
I've seen the landing hand but the mesh appears abrasive - is it a nylon mesh or another material? What's wrong with the 'landing hand' I was born with in other words

thanks for the recommendation.

wrke
09-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Juro
Yes, it's nylon, but seems soft and doesn't seem abrasive to me. Better grip than bare hand. BTW, did you get my email of this morning?
Bill

juro
09-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Just read it - thanks paypal on the way!

Spotty? Sounded like good fishing to me!