Fall Migration? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fall Migration?

Warren
09-10-2007, 06:03 AM
My friend Capt. Carp & I went to ocean yesterday to try & look for some Tuna offshore from Plumb Island sound. Never made it out past Cranes Beach, too rough for a twenty foot boat. The party boat captains were on the horn talking about some sick passengers. Never a good sign

NOAA was right on with their forecast again, SW winds @ 15-20 knt turned out to be NE @25-30, per the rules when ever I go out fly casting.
Never the less we found many small blitzes of schoolie stripers chasing some small bait around inside the sound.

We caught too many fish to count all under 20 inches, with a few bigger. Just before we went in at the top O the tide we did see some bigger fish surfacing. But by that time there were too many other boats trying to run them down & it looked like Chaos was soon going to happen. We bagged it when the rain started falling, went to Michaels in Newbury Port on a suggestion from Paxton, had a wonderful meal & watched the first quarter of the Pats Game.

So are the bass starting to form up for the run south? Capt'n Carp thinks it maybe the very beginning. Looks like fall fly fishing may heat up some. Capt'n Carp will keep me informed as he has charters all week.

juro
09-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Typically the fish magnetize around the bunker and head down when they head down. I think what you may be seeing is their reaction to the bunker, but when they point south you can bet that the only stripers left will be the poor icky (ick parasites) ones way up in estuaries.

Paxton
09-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Warren...glad you liked Michael's...never a bad meal and always provides the viewing opportunity to pick out a new boat :-)
Ron