stealth Q's, and florocarbon wonders.. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: stealth Q's, and florocarbon wonders..

zimflo.
09-07-2007, 07:28 PM
First of all, is Floro carbon all hype? or is it really what its cracked up to be? Prices of tippits and leaders if they have them would be excellent, first hand experiences whether good or bad, and a place preferably online that I can get them would be Extremely helpful.

And, Im trying to educate my friend in the form of stealth.. Its prety much gaurenteed Ill find a nice secret hole that has been undesturbed for a while with plenty of surface feeding fish sipping spinners.. (time for delicate casting) and first one I catch, he will come flying away from the stretch of river he has spooked into sterility(mabey a word..mabey not) and starts slamming loops across my beautiful scene. needless to say, time to move again.
I've pretty much taught him the basics of small stream fly fishing, and he is decent at it when he doesnt get excited (which jumping trout tend to do) and he wont really take my advice to often, especially when im fighting them.. So, any suggested lines or tricks to making leaders/tippets look better in the water, Ive heard rubbing it down with soap is a good trick to nock down the water glimmer

any help would be appreciated, he is an excellent friend, a good angler, and has HUGE potential as a fly fisherman.. all he and I really need is some help and advice from people who know exactly what there doing.

-Thanks.

geardaddy37
09-07-2007, 09:49 PM
slip some ritalin into his coffee...:devil:
Seriously though, I used to get super geeked and I ended up ruining a lot of water time by being too rushed. I even once got all the way to my local river (a three hour drive - Pere Marquette) and found that I had left my waders t home.
I had to do some behavior mod on myself. I started forcing myself to sit quietly by the river for several minutes before entering, and I would practice deep breathing to center myself. I would do a form of positve self talk, by repeating a phrase such as, "catching fish is not the point of being here..." But I am sure that for years I drove my fishing buddies crazy...:Eyecrazy:
Some day your buddy will get it, and then he will thank you for sticking with him!
Bill
PS: just read this from "The Singing Wilderness", by Sigurd Olson;

" In Winchester Cathedral in England is a stained glass window devoted to Izaak Walton, the patron saint of
all anglers. In the base of that window are four words which embody the philosophy of those who enjoy
the gentle art of fishingand the out of doors:
STUDY TO BE QUIET

It is the key to all he ever wrote and thought about. Beside the rivers Itchen and Dove, Izaak Walton
fished for peace and quiet, sought the silences and the places where thughts were long and undisturbed."

(edited to add quote...bz) <{{{{Xx><

zimflo.
09-07-2007, 11:11 PM
ya, he'll get it.. he's good he just is missing the bit of river privacy manners, standing 6ft apart on the siletz river (MASSIVE) is good for chatting.. but not stealth so much..

teflon_jones
09-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Sounds like you need to teach him about etiquette a bit, not just stealth. Nobody should come up and fish your area no matter who they are. If my best friend did that I'd consider it bad etiquette, and I'd tell him (in a nice way of course). There's lot of articles out there on stream etiquette that you could print out and leave where he'd find it.

In terms of stealth, I'd just ask him if he wants to catch fish or not. If he does, tell him he needs to always act like he's trying not to wake a baby in the same room.

As for flourocarbon, it's definitely less visible underwater than standard monofilament is. It's a simple matter of refraction. It's all I use any more. The only disadvantage to it that I've found is that it sinks so fishing a dry fly can be more challenging.

zimflo.
09-08-2007, 11:52 PM
whats your favorite brand of fluro carbon? I was looking at climax, and scientific anglers.. It'll probably be used mostly for dry fly stuffs..

and ya, your right.. It is mostly ettiquet.. I try to be verry aware of my surroundings, and try to make sure (if on a crowded river) to keep my line spray from shooting in someone elses bit of river.. (I try to stay far far away from these places anyway..

teflon_jones
09-09-2007, 10:31 AM
For flouro, I've been using Frog Hair for years, as well as Sci Anglers. Both do extremely well.

zimflo.
09-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Sweet, thankyou!

Nooksack Mac
09-11-2007, 06:01 PM
I've wondered if flourocarbon tippets in the 5x-7x range would have an advantage for dry fly fishing. Do they sink a little in order to avoid surface line shadow, but not enough to pull even a little dry fly under? That's what I hope. Can anyone offer empirical experience?

I use flouro, but only in 3x-0x sizes, for steelhead.

teflon_jones
09-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I've wondered if flourocarbon tippets in the 5x-7x range would have an advantage for dry fly fishing. Do they sink a little in order to avoid surface line shadow, but not enough to pull even a little dry fly under? That's what I hope. Can anyone offer empirical experience?I fish a good bit of dries in sizes 14-22, and the flouro can pull the flies under a bit, especially in faster currents or if the fly is a bit waterlogged already. The line is much more likely to sink than mono so you won't have that surface line shadow. What kind of empirical evidence are you looking for?

zimflo.
09-12-2007, 12:24 AM
cool, I had a situation where my line shaddow would actually spook the fish i was watching.. made me verry sad.. Ill usually be using dry flies.. but I bet you could treat the line with something to make it float better.. mabey fly float ehh?

J. Marcus
09-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Yes, you can treat it with something like a paste floatant to get it to stay up by repulsing the water--the same way that silk lines are made to float. You might want to carefully put floatant on it up to about three or four inches from the fly so the last little bit will go under. Also, you'll have to re-treat it occasionally. Orvis and Wulff and perhaps others now sell a fourocarbon that has an even better strength to diameter ratio than the best of their regular mono's. I'm sure this will help with the drag-free drift as well as reducing the wieght for better floatation.

J. Marcus