Rip Trip for Saturday, Sept. 15 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip for Saturday, Sept. 15

jimS
09-07-2007, 06:59 PM
A rip trip to the southern end of South Monomoy is scheduled for that date with a backup date the following day, Sept 16th. Weather this time of year is a big factor in this type of trip happening, e.g. honking SW winds. If you have never been to the rip at the end of S. Monomoy, you owe it to yourself. There is a chance that hardtails will be in the mix with bass and blues.

The trip begins at 7 a.m. at the Monomoy Wildlife Refuge and the ride is on the Rip Ryder IV. This is Keith Lincoln's new ride that accommodates up to 20 passengers. Cost is $30 each based on 10 fishermen.

This is an exclusive trip for members of the Flyfishing Forum.

If you want to go, reply to this thread. If you've got questions, fire away.

flydoc
09-08-2007, 03:47 AM
Jimbo- count me in for the 15th. Too bad you guys weren't able to make it to the tip yesterday, but it sounds like most of you were able to find fish despite the gale-force blows. Hopefully the tip will be a go for the 15th or 16th.
See you then,
Flydoc

striblue
09-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Jim...I am in for now but will know more by mid week

Warren
09-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Flydoc is in? I am there, I gotta get another day on the water with the Fish Doctor:hihi:

Of course you do realize that this means I will have to blow off work again don't you:hihi: :hihi:

Sean Juan
09-10-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm in.

Fish Hawk you going?

FishHawk
09-10-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm in and I believe Frank F is also. FishHawk :D

juro
09-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Jim -

Is this a SM island adventure in general or targeted at the tip rip?

striblue
09-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Juro, The trip is schedule for point rip. Weather and wind permitting.

Sean Juan
09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Never been down there this should be interesting.

Are there any big bunker down that way, or is the bait mostly sandeels and baby bunker?

jimS
09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
So far, we have FlyDoc, Warren, Striblue, Sean Juan, FishHawk and me. We need four more to make our quota of 10 to keep the cost at $30 each.

Juro, you in? We are definitely planning to hit the rip, weather permitting. An alternate date to hit the rip is Sunday, if the weather sucks, e.g. honking SW wind.

There are reports of hardtails in the area right now. In fact, bonito and false albacore have been caught in Nantucket Sound. Bass and blues are definitely in the mix at the rip. Bait is sand eels and peanuts.

Sean, haven't seen in big pogies down there, but that could change since they are around in the sound.

FrankF
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Jim:

I am in also. I hope the weather holds up...it looks like rain right now. On the optimistic side, i usually have good luck in the rain.

Frank

Sean Juan
09-12-2007, 08:32 AM
I'll be bringing another dude - Kevin - if thats ok - figure better to fill the boat.

Warren
09-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Jim:

I am in also. I hope the weather holds up...it looks like rain right now. On the optimistic side, i usually have good luck in the rain.

Frank

Rain is good. Wind is the enemy. Rain mixed with wind = drink beer & watch TV :hihi: Or tie those flies you have been neglecting

jimS
09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Weather may be our enemy on Saturday/Sunday. Landing in a rippin SW wind is not an option. We'll defer to Capt. Keith Lincoln for the final call. In the event the wind is unfavorable for the rip trip, the option is to land on the north tip. Last week, we did that trip and there are a lot options in terms of fishing the oceanside, north tip, or the flats on the west side of S. Monomoy.

Anyone uncomfortable with the option of the north tip if the wind is our enemy on Saturday?

striblue
09-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks Jim....I can not make it down this weekend anyway. I could next weekend. Let's see if anyone would be interested .....lets say, either Friday, Saturday or Sunday....a three day window. This would be for Point Rip .Otherwise we are coming into conflict with the Bone Clave..... then we would have to look to October.... and the sand is running in the hour glass. In any event, who knows how the weather will untimately play out this weekend.... but people have to plan so I would think we would know Thursday night or atleast by mid day on Friday if it's a go on Saturday. Keith will have to call it by then.... Then we try again for next weekend....infact we should try for next weekend even if it is a go this weekend... do you agree?

FishHawk
09-13-2007, 08:00 AM
North Tip is a good call. Plenty of options. With a high pm tide do you think Kieth will be able to pick us up closer to the normal drop off point rather than the buoy? Also if we go to the North Tip will the start time be at 8:00 rather than 7 am? If you could post this on Fri. afternoon it would be helpful. Thanks Jim.
FishHawk

vtloon
09-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Just a thought re' a Rip Trip on 22 Sept: for folks like me with a long drive, backing up a Rip Trip to the Bone Clave could be a good thing. More bang for the travel buck if a longer fun pass can be negotiated.

shadfreak
09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
The day before the Rip trip would be great for me. I was probably coming to fish that day anyway.
Larry

Warren
09-13-2007, 04:15 PM
I am good to go this weekend, Work has gone well for me & I am all caught up.

I guess the north tip would be better than nothing if the wind screws us again.

One sure way to not have any wind is for me to stay home:hihi:

Next weekend I am gone to Canada til Oct 1. so I am gonna guess that this is my final chance at a Cape/ rip trip. My October calender is already filled up, However the first weekend Oct 6-7 is a possibility. :eek:

Never the less, I'll see what the forecast looks like Tomorrow Night and make the decision whether or not to come down for this weekend.

jimS
09-13-2007, 05:56 PM
The forecast at this point in time is 10-20 WSW with thunderstorms in the a.m. and showers possibly later. I'll defer to Capt. Keith Lincoln on his decision to go or not to go for a dropoff at the rip. I think a trip to the north tip of S. Monomoy is doable, barring thunderstorms in the a.m.

I was about a mile out on the bayside flats on Tuesday when the thunderstorms approached. One does not want to have a graphite conductor in flat terrain.

Today, just north of the tip of S. Monomoy it was loaded with peanut bunker and chopper blues. Bass were in the mix. Bring wire.

Warren
09-13-2007, 07:10 PM
The forecast at this point in time is 10-20 WSW with thunderstorms in the a.m. and showers possibly later. Bring wire.

Only 10 to 20 Jim? Hell we can cast into the wind in that light breeze :D

Have wire, will travel. Aside from the T-storms things are looking up

flydoc
09-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Any chance of trying for the rip tip on Sunday? The weather (precipitation wise, at least) looks much better for Sunday, although a bit cooler (low 60's). I'd rather give that a shot than spending a rainy/windy day on the north tip on Saturday.
Flydoc

FishHawk
09-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Looks like we'll be doing the normal 8 am . start time whatever we do. FishHawk

striblue
09-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Be sure to post today if the trip might go off on Sunday....if not... then we should shoot for next Saturday and perhaps pick up some of the guys coming in for the Bone Clave on Sunday.

CSJ60
09-14-2007, 10:06 AM
I'll be down for the trip...is it 7AM or 8AM? Thanks

Sean Juan
09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Okay I'm confused....

What are we doing?

juro
09-14-2007, 11:36 AM
I'd be interested in the north end SM trip assuming it's not $30.

striblue
09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Sean...if the rip trip does not go off on Saturday... then it appears that the North tip of south is in the works instead.. Just like last weekend.... My post is simply to look next week for a rip trip again .

Warren
09-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Juro same price as NM trip. twenty of your hard earned clams

flydoc
09-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Weather report now saying showers, and winds up to 20-30 from the WSW for tomorrow afternoon... may make it a tough pick up, even from the north tip... I'll see what the Captain has to say before I decide whether to show tomorrow AM or not....I have to spend at least one of the weekend days doing house chores, so I would rather fish on the more pleasant of the two days if possible.
Flydoc

Rip Ryder
09-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Sorry boys, no rip trip on Saturday. Winds are SW going to NW 15-25 with gust to as high as 40 on one channel. All do seem to concur it's going to blow tomorrow.

Stay tuned tomorrow evening for the latest on going Sunday am.

Those of you that can go Sunday can you just post a quick reply for JimS. I may also have 5 others going on a lighthouse trip, so that will help if we lose some bodies for Sunday.

Capt Keith

Warren
09-14-2007, 06:20 PM
OK I am in for Sunday if it happens

Here is the NOAA Nantucket Sound forecast for Sunday: N WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

Can you land on a North wind Keith?

jimS
09-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Capt. Keith made the right call for Saturday. Sunday certainly looks more promising with sun and the wind is a question mark.

Fished today, north of the S. Monomoy channel and it was loaded with racer blues blitzing the peanuts. Some bass on the coming tide on the flats, but lots of refusals.

Reports of bonita and albies at the rip on S. Monomoy has really peaked my interest, and the weather gods hopefully will cooperate.

With the winds and dismal overcast day, I'll defer to the bayside. It has been hot and cold, with more bass than blues.

Check this thread on Sunday for the time and decision of the Capt. Time is running out for rip trips.

FishHawk
09-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Not sure about Sunday . May bail . FishHawk

flydoc
09-14-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm a definite for Sunday...will keep fingers crossed on the wind so we can go all the way....would love to hook up on my first hardtail....any recs for line/flies for the "funny fish"?
Flydoc
P.S.- Bill- Please don't bail...a Rip Trip wouldn't be the same without your fishing karma:lildevl:

PopnesetBay
09-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Check your PM's. Another inappropriate post.

Pete Readel

flydoc
09-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Check your PM's. Another inappropriate post.

Pete Readel
Pete- I hope you aren't referring to my post...if so, what on earth about it do you find so offensive?
Flydoc

PopnesetBay
09-14-2007, 10:27 PM
FlyDoc....was not referring to your post. There was a post in another section that was not appropriate and I wanted Juro to delete it, which he has. Only way I could think to let Juro know I had sent PM was to public post a request for him to check his . Sorry to cause confusion and in no way have I ever been offended by your posts. I publically apologize to anyone that thought I took offense to their posts on this thread as it was not my intent.

flydoc
09-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Pete- explanation and apology accepted- I was starting to worry that my sig had somehow touched a raw nerve- possibly a past unpleasant encounter with a rogue proctologist:Eyecrazy:
Flydoc

PopnesetBay
09-14-2007, 10:46 PM
flydoc, PM sent. Sorry for the confusion and it isn't the one or two finger that gets me as much as it is the "snap" of the glove as it is put on. Anticipation is worse than the actual happening!

flydoc
09-14-2007, 11:03 PM
flydoc, PM sent. Sorry for the confusion and it isn't the one or two finger that gets me as much as it is the "snap" of the glove as it is put on. Anticipation is worse than the actual happening!

I know what you mean....fortunately for my patients the new powder-free gloves in our office just don't seem to have the same old "snap" I used to get out of the old powdered gloves.....oops, now THAT's an inappropriate post.....:hihi:
Flydoc

Paxton
09-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Considering joining Sunday if OK, IF, we are going to the rip. Have been unsuccessful for the last 3 years trying to get there......if the trip to the rip is on, I will try and cash in all the "husband points" that I have accumulated the last 38 years:hihi:
By the way, have any one of you noticed that husband points usually only have a shelf life of about 24 hours? :smokin:
Ron

PS: Jim....if the trip to the rip is cancelled, I will be coming down a day during the week...have Monday/Wed and Fri open...and it will stay open.....I will be saying no to "part time" project

FishHawk
09-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Ok , I'm in if we go to the Rip. Will do some Honey Do chores today. My town dump is only open on Saturdays. Which puts in hot water because I fish instead of going to the dump. FishHawk. :hihi:

striblue
09-15-2007, 09:41 AM
If Sunday does not work out.... let's schedule for next Saturday....Sunday is the Bone clave... Maybe we can get enough for a Friday.....In fact as mentioned before...why not schedule one for next Saturday anyway even if the Rip works out for Sunday...this way we can pick up those who can not make this Sunday and those who want to do it again..... I will post a new thread Sunday night. Jim and Juro, are you OK with that???

Paxton
09-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Jim/John...I am in for this Sunday if room on the vessel. Am coming only if the trip to the rip is on.
Jim...re fish...my preference would be bonito/albies.....for those, would you suggest an intermediate line or just go with the fast sink? Thanks.
Ron

Warren
09-15-2007, 07:12 PM
The Board has been down all day here at my house in NH. Just came up at 8:15 pm are we going tomorrow?

I'll get up around 3 am to check. I hope this thing stays running

striblue
09-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Warren...I had problems also and I just got on.... I was thinking of driving down tonight but I will not if I don't hear anything....or if it comes too late tonight.

Paxton
09-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Guys....I called the Admiral around 7:30...he said that it was a go for tomorrow to the rip...departs at 8. I tried Jim's cell...no answer. I'm going down as Ed was positive it was on...plus they have some birders going as well.
Ron

jimS
09-15-2007, 08:31 PM
The Rip Trip is a go @ 8a.m. Sorry the server has been down, since Capt Keith was going to post this info.

My cell crashed today, so Ron and others, I received your calls, but can't answer them. Maybe it was the horizontal rain today that toasted it.

See everyone in the a.m.

juro
09-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Jim -

Thanks for taking the reins I will show up in the morning and would like to join if the Rydah is heading to the north tip

striblue
09-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Good luck Guys...Can't get down ....wish I could...I know you will have a blast....

Warren
09-16-2007, 03:36 AM
0330 hrs Sunday Morning, I am on the way.

Sean Juan
09-16-2007, 05:29 AM
You don't need husband points when your pimp hand is strong!!!

I'll totally be there dude.

FrankF
09-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Sorry Jim. I can't make it today.

good luck Frank