Gloucester observations [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Gloucester observations

Lefty
09-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Just a quick report of bait up noahth. I took the family to Wingaersheek Beach on Labor Day sans fly rod. The back up was 1 1/2 miles getting in but eventually we got a parking spot (I hate crowds). The water was crystal clear and warmed up by the rocks per usual. Awesome swimming. Around the rocks to the right, huge pod of silversides. Then a school of juvi herring swam through. In spots there would be rocks constricting the flow into 6" by 2 ' deep troughs. We were in there swimming with them. Amazing to be so close (I'm usually at least 9' away:chuckle: ) There was the occasional 20" schoolie sliding through harrasing them too.
I hope these great bait signs and those reported are calling for a great fall. I will be haunting Lynn Harbor again this fall as it was amazingly productive last year.

Lefty

mikez
09-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Terry, by any chance did you go by the "Backshore", Atlantic Road, Bass Rock etc?
I'm curious about the parking there these days. Years ago when I was a hungry surf caster I used to go out on a reef that was accessable for a couple hours either side of low tide. When the fishing was good, I sometimes overstayed my welcome and did the Doggy paddle in my waders to get back. Very exhilerating at 2:00 AM when you're alone.:devil:
At that time the parking regs allowed on street parking during weekdays only, no parking weekend & holidays [vigorously enforced:frown: ].
I'm just curious if you know if that reg still stands or is always No Parking now.
Back then it was always a big fish spot. I'm thinking with the size and number of bass around this season, you could get a 50 out there.

Lefty
09-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Not sure Mike. Doug B would be the guy to ask.

Terry

shadfreak
09-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I was at Halibut Point on labor day with my fly rod. I saw no bait, caught no fish, nor saw any caught. Its a good thing its so pretty there.
Larry