sneeky pete [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: sneeky pete

DARKSCOPE001
09-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey guys I need to tie up a fleet of bass/ pan fish flies so one of the patterns I was thinking about tieing was a sneaky Pete. but my question is, what do you use for the tail. I heard poly yarn but I cant find any at any of my local shops. So I have also heard about sing some Krystal flash to match the body. But anything you guys can tell me would be much appreciated. Also any other essential pan fish/bass patterns for streams I should know about. I have a small selection of clousers darters and deep minnows. but I need stuff i can launch on a 5wt.

THANKS
Sean Scott

teflon_jones
09-03-2007, 10:57 AM
You can use just about anything for the tail. A couple of hackle feathers and a little marabou is a good combo. Tie the hackle feathers curving outwards like legs. A couple of rubber legs behind the head of the fly is a good idea too.

As for other patterns, woolly buggers are great for panfish. Put a good bit of sparkle in them. My number one streamer fly for panfish is the Hornberg. I've caught literally thousands on them over the last 20 years, and gotten bass and pickerel on this fly too. Another good bass fly is a Dahlberg Diver. Great for fishing where it's weedy.

geardaddy37
09-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I loves da Sneaky Pete's! use torpedo bobbers for the body and tie 'em big! LIke a #2 or #4. I sometimes use colored deer hair for the tail, yellow red, green. I also like a mouse imitator. My favorites though are crayfish imitators, in a 4,6,and 8. I wrap the hook shank in lead, and have gone to using copper wire for the body to show segmentation.
They're a little harder to make but worth it as they cost 3 to 4 bucks a piece if purchased! Enjoy!!
Bill

flyjkol
09-04-2007, 12:23 AM
I second everything teflon jones said.