How is the Gaspe area fishing? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: How is the Gaspe area fishing?

petevicar
09-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi

i am due to go to Gaspe on Sept 10. I am interested to know how it is fishing at the moment.

Many thanks.

Pete

Venture
09-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Tough for me to answer your question because the Gaspe is a big place with many rivers. And many of those rivers did not fish the same this year. Some had poor runs of fish and some decent to good runs of fish. The Bonaventure and Grand Cascapedia had had very poor runs while the Matane fished well. The Matapedia also had problems. Although I fished the York, I am not quite sure of the statistics coming from the eastern Gaspesie Rivers.....perhaps Ann Smith can help you with information concerning the York, St Jean and Darmouth. The Petite Cascapedia was OK but still I think a little down as well.

Right now I am sitting on the banks of the Matane. The water levels are normal and in good shape......even slightly high for this time of year. We've had a good amount of rain all season that put many rivers into flood through periods of July and August and caused damage on some of the Gaspesie rivers.

The air temp is cold......water around 55 degrees and salmon are quite lethargic in the early hours due to the cold air and river temps in the mornings. Fish are being taken, but in the past few days fishing has been slow here with many fishers on the river for holiday weekend. After this weekend things will drastically thin out as far as Pecheures. Add a little rain fall to that mix and you may just be on target here or the Matapedia.

And the best news for all of us is that Pierre has hung it up for the season on these rivers so there should be many more fish to go around :chuckle:

QuebecSporting
09-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Good Evening,

Sorry for the late reply (busy,busy).

Since a few days, we are seeing bright salmon on all three rivers.
Today, on the York, a fresh 10-12lbs was landed ... silver as can be.

Water temps are cooling off and some salmon seem more aggressive ....

Dress warmly, it's cool down here.... !!!

September is a great time of year, leaves are changing colors (so are the fish, I must say!!) no bugs!! ... :razz:

We fished the St-Jean also today.... saw silver bullets there too. :roll:

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/flytalk_sept2007.JPG

We are expecting rain Tuesday... I think it looks promising for the rest of the month!!

Tight Lines and great September fishing!!!

- do bring your dry flies.... they are popular these days!!! :)

Ann

Salar36
09-07-2007, 12:02 PM
And the best news for all of us is that Pierre has hung it up for the season on these rivers so there should be many more fish to go around :chuckle:

:confused: Who told that??? I am fishing the Ste Anne this week end, the Matapedia for the 3 other week end...:wink:

Venture
09-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Hey Pierre, I meant to say that the best news on the MATANE is that you you have hung it up HERE for the season leaving the place wide open :chuckle: See you next year. Have a good September.

QuebecSporting
09-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Good Evening....

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/fred_wayne_2007.JPG

Great day for us on the St-Jean, today!!

(fishing is great, etc) Ben OUI!!!

A.. :)

peter-s-c
09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks Anne for such a well organized trip. Austin was a real treat to work with -- what an classic gentleman.

Now if the two duffers he was guiding could've stuck a few more fish . . . . :roll:

QuebecSporting
09-10-2007, 11:22 PM
okay!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Gees, I had not realized you were fishing with us. ...
I actually thought you were a guy coming on the Gaspé alone and looking for
information etc...
Phew!! :rolleyes: :Eyecrazy:

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/flytalk_pete.JPG

K...admit the Tim Horton's coffee is good too...:p

Take Care and nice meeting both of you " Gentlemen ! "

Ann :)

peter-s-c
09-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Ya, the guy in the hood with the fish on is "peter-s-c". Can't tell the players without a score card. :)

Green Ghost
09-11-2007, 09:20 PM
I certainly hope that the advertisment attached promoting sinking lines and shooting head systems was not intended for use in Gaspe :tsk_tsk:

I am interested in the application for other fish though - Like Striped Bass!!

peter-s-c
09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
I certainly hope that the advertisment attached promoting sinking lines and shooting head systems was not intended for use in Gaspe :tsk_tsk:

Who??? :confused: ME!!?? In the Gaspé?? :eek: Never! ;)

Smolt
09-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Why "never"? Since I use only floating lines for Atlantics, I am just asking, not arguing. Is it because you think sinking lines and heads make it easier to snag salmon, especially in the clear Gaspe' water where they are more visible than in rivers in other areas?

Personally, I fished the Miramichi in late September/early October of 2005 when the water was so high you were swinging the fly up the banks into the bushes at times. A sinking tip might have put the fly in front of more fish out in the main channel of the river and meant the difference between a fishless day and a fair take or two.

Again, just asking.

peter-s-c
09-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Why "never"? Since I use only floating lines for Atlantics, I am just asking, not arguing. Is it because you think sinking lines and heads make it easier to snag salmon, especially in the clear Gaspe' water where they are more visible than in rivers in other areas?

Personally, I fished the Miramichi in late September/early October of 2005 when the water was so high you were swinging the fly up the banks into the bushes at times. A sinking tip might have put the fly in front of more fish out in the main channel of the river and meant the difference between a fishless day and a fair take or two.

Again, just asking.

It was the snagging thing. The concern that a sinking line would result in snagged fish. I agree that the sinker has a role, even in low flows when the fish are congregated in deep holes. If the sinking line angler is competent, the possibility of a snagged fish is low.

GaspeSalmonBum
09-12-2007, 03:31 PM
This is a test

Green Ghost
09-12-2007, 09:09 PM
No sir, not at all, this magnificent fish will rise to a dry or wet in ten feet of water when it is clear. and I agree with David that waving a fly at depth with a sink tip is tempting when the water is high, I never used the word snagging. What I want to know is.......

IS the use of a weighted fly line legal??? I believe a weighted fly is not, but what about the line?? Doesn't the line have to be floating??:confused:

In spring all it says is "an unweighted fly" and says nothing about the fly line. What is the story in summer??:roll:

Salar-1
09-13-2007, 06:48 AM
So Pete
How went the trip ?
Mine to Petite and Bonnie went just fine:cool:
Fresh fish in both rivers and Bonnie's water levels are/were at optimum .River was at a very high level until about a week and 1/2 ago !
Cheers
Brian

peter-s-c
09-13-2007, 09:00 AM
No sir, not at all, this magnificent fish will rise to a dry or wet in ten feet of water when it is clear. and I agree with David that waving a fly at depth with a sink tip is tempting when the water is high, I never used the word snagging. What I want to know is.......

IS the use of a weighted fly line legal??? I believe a weighted fly is not, but what about the line?? Doesn't the line have to be floating??:confused:

In spring all it says is "an unweighted fly" and says nothing about the fly line. What is the story in summer??:roll:

I'm no Atlantic salmon expert, nor am I a Gaspé expert. All I am saying was related to me by someone who is an expert on both.

peter-s-c
09-13-2007, 09:38 AM
So Pete
How went the trip ?
Brian

Which Pete?

Green Ghost
09-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Back to the question, IS a sinking fly line legal in Quebec???:confused:

Salar-1
09-14-2007, 09:28 PM
"Which Pete?"

Peter
Petevicar ,the udder one that started this thread

Green Ghost
Do a search in the archive's here and in Quebecpeche ,and you'll find the answer
Cheers

Salar-1
09-18-2007, 07:57 PM
High water was DEFINATELY one of the reasons for reduced catch stats on the Bonnie .Water finally fell to "fisheable" levels 2 1/2 weeks back
Here's a fishin' report of my Sept 06 to 12th trip
Thursday arrival at Camp Melancon and observed fish jumping in run above Melancon !!
Friday , Monday, and Tuesday fished Petite Caught one 39incher,one Grilse,lost one fish after a 2hr 5 minute fight !! one fish ,well the ruler I carry only goes to 39 inches .Rose 2 others to dries. Both rises were vicious "takes" and not your garden variety slow rises !
Sat , B4 on Bonnie ,rose 2 more to dries and caught one VERY fresh fish @ 30 inches
Sunday, B3 on Bonnie rose 3 to a dry and had 3 pulls on wets .One Seatrout caught .All together a fine trip that was only tempered by the fact I had to return early due to a family matter. Had the Petite (except for the Camp Bonnie crew) to myself for 2 of the days !!!!!! Dave Bishop guided on Tues and the rest of the week.It was nice to see him on the river he knows and loves !
my observations .
Saw and counted 17 in D.W. , 6 in Roy's (not on map) 2 in run above Roy's, 14 in Edgar Cyr (there's a sh-t load more ), 10 in Eleanor,6 in Perrault (VERY active !!), 14 + in Deer Landing, 15 or so in Baker ( observed two pods of fresh fish running through here), 13 in N--------'s (Bish. told me I was short by about 20 fish!!) About 30 in Double which had 12 VERY fresh fish in the 15-20 lb class !!! ( there here some very deep tails on these fish and I'd love to find out what the divers have to say !)
2 other well known pools had 17, 9, and one lesser known pool had 4 .
#42 in public on Petite had 2 and #43 had a squadron of 24 or so !! Found one other in pocket water .
Cheers
Brian

Note to David Bishop. The pool I was a thinkin' off was Eleanor and NOT Slokup.JEEZ Wrong pool and wrong sector :eek:

petevicar
09-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Hey Brian
Trip was OK. I'll post a report soon.

Pete

chrismeyer
09-25-2007, 07:45 AM
hi fishermen,

i'm back in germany. i fished the bonnie and the grand C.
this was a tough fishing.
no rain, low water, and half of the fish then last year.
i caught two. 1 grilse and one salmon (15-18p) both at the bonnie (deerlanding)
i lost a realy big fish after ten minute on the grand C branches. and a other one.

although i had a hard fishing it was a great week with the best guide.
thank you david bishop!
i did make so many great experience.
i really enoyed the gaspe

chris