Winston Boron XTR [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winston Boron XTR

petevicar
09-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi,
I have the possibility of picking some of these now discontinued rods at a reasonable price.
Does anyone have any experience of them.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

jfbasser
09-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I looked at one in an 11 wt for small Tarpon. Very soft action, decided not to purchase even at discount.

striblue
09-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Love It..own a 12 wt with fore grip and a 9 wt.... stiff and fast action rods. Stiffer than the new Xii which I just bought for a 10 wt. and stiffer than the BL-5 (have a 9 wt.) which is a softer action rod.

jfbasser
09-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Oops, that should narrow it down :hihi:

I was thinking of the B II x

burk
09-11-2007, 05:07 PM
The XTR action is kinda tough to explain, they are not fast rods in the traditional sense as their action is very much traditional Winston in terms of flex. BUT, they are extremely powerful rods, and they cast great with a relaxed casting stroke. They throw in the wind with a minimal amount of effort and handle heads with ease ( my 6 weight smokes a 300 gr. teeny). They are the most powerful lifting rods I've ever experienced. Their only drawback IMHO is they are heavy compared to Hardy Zanes, Sage XTi's or Loomis Crosscurrents. They do have a great casting feel and they are much more forgiving then many of the traditional fast action SW rods. I would not hesitate to recommend them IF you can get past the weight.

On the other hand, I would not recommend the B IIx as a basic SW rod. While they cast floating lines great on calm days, even the fanatics on the Winston forum grudgingly call them "nice day bonefish rods". I had a Ten weight and it would not lift a 400 grain head! Winston has a new SW rod debuting at Denver. I have not handled them yet.

FishHawk
09-11-2007, 06:19 PM
I have a Winston BIIX 9wt and it is not that great in windy conditions. However, it's a sensitive rod. I like my T&T Horizion II rods much better than the Winston.
Just a personal choice. No , I don't work for T&T just think they are a great rod for my own casting style. FishHawk

striblue
09-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Well, I guess my experience is different, I am throwing a 550 grain with the 10 wt and love it...I can throw the whole line with that rod..... I don't use floaters in salt anyway and I have only to lift maybe 20 feet after a strip in.... I do not roll cast anyway with a sinking line because you really can not do that.... a tight double haul and two false casts and the rod performs great... Fish Hawk, I used that rod on the rip trip in that wind, 25 to 30+ from the sw. just my experience with it..

FishHawk
09-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Well, that's why you should always try before you buy. I was throwing 400 grains on my BIIX 9wt perhaps I should try the 550. FishHawk