http://home.comcast.net/~whalen.jim/1stflybonito.jpg
Stomach contents and the fly
http://home.comcast.net/~whalen.jim/baitfish.jpg

shadfreak
09-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Congrats Jim

jfbasser
09-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Good going Jim, my future son-in-law got his first two Albies the other day.

Paxton
09-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Nice lookin fish!!!! Congrats! Fatso bunker too :-)
Ron

Striper
09-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Awesome Jim way to go!!! They are a hoot aren't they. Wait till you get a bluefin on the fly you will be ruined for life!

FishHawk
09-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Way to go Jim. Nice looking fly. FishHawk

JimW
09-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Yeah, they are a hoot. Don't fight as hard as albies but boy are they fast. I had 4 other hook ups, 2 spit it right off, another was on solid but lost it with line flying through the air on the 1st run. One other I lost boat side, no net and alone.

This was the last day of my washburn trip. The day before I took a run toward Succonesett for some evening blues and saw something hang some serious air time in the distance. When I arrived at that area I see bonito trashing the top. There were a couple of albies in the air but always at a distance. I even saw what I think was a kingfish - long and thin like a bonito but about 5 times the length. Not a surface blitz of blues anywhere near these tunoids. There was a fair bit of mung in the water so I headed back to camp. Hit it the next morning and had a slam under my belt by 9am.

The fly was a whitebait before it got chewed up so it didn't match the hatch except for the eye. I was amazed at the number of bones not surfacing, on one hookup I was blind casting after a surface feed and there must have been 50 fish all 5-10 feet down and I was in under 20' of water. Saw the take on that one and 3 others were just a second behind the hooked fish.

Water was 85F which was a couple degrees cooler than at the wacky jetties.

juro
09-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Hit it the next morning and had a slam under my belt by 9am

NICE! congrats Jim

Tom, Neal and I were out yesterday taking turns, I hooked two lost both. Neal got a "Succonesset Slam" (blues, bonito and a HUGE albie) I bled and gutted the bonito for him immediately and put on ice. Sashimi grade I am sure. His albie that took nearly all of his backing. Pictures to follow (they are on video camera)

Special thanks to Tom Dunlap who hosted us on the "boneyard" adventure