Bar Harbor Stripers? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bar Harbor Stripers?

mccaff
07-09-2000, 08:28 AM
I was up in Bar Harbor last week and ran into huge amounts of mackeral. I know Stripers have made their way into Penobscot bay but does anyone know if they hit Bar Harbor and the surrounding area (Frenchman's Bay specifically)in August? I've got a week up there and want to know if the effort is worth it. Local knowledge is limited - some of them say yes some of them say no.

juro
07-09-2000, 12:05 PM
Jim -

Typical years the answer is yes, but this year seems to be 2-3 weeks behind (or so). One good sign - a huge infusion of striped bass have hit the Chatham area over the last 48 hours. This might be a sign of a large migratory push despite the previously cold / late summer conditions.

I have some contacts in Brunswick I can try to dig up. Also, have you tried contacting shops in the area? If nothing else, the macks are fun on a 6 wt fly rod and if you know how to high-broil them they are tasty. Like slim jims, you either love them or you hate them. Not quite as spicy but they do carry a distinct flavor.

Anyway, I'll see if I can dig up some info.

juro
07-09-2000, 12:40 PM
You might give Elgridge's a call.. (207) 363-9269

mccaff
07-10-2000, 10:59 AM
Thanks Juro - I'll call Eldridge's. There are only a handful of bait shops in the area up there and fishing isn't their main inventory.

I actually did catch mack's on my five weight and they're a blast. They are also very tasty when cooked fresh. I'm hoping mid August will be when the big bass show. I know they appear in the Bay of Fundy so I'm assuming Bar Harbor isn't too great a reach for their range.