Rip Trip - Friday, September 7 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip - Friday, September 7

striblue
08-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Absent anything to the contrary from Keith we should try for the 7th...right now I have, me, FishHawk, Warren, N1gdo , jimS and Paxton...That's 6... will you start using this thread to communicate or SIGN UP for this Date... To simplify, those who indicated thay can go on the other thread...just confirm here so we have one thread on this. We really should get 10 or more so we can keep the cost to $30 each... anything less would cost us proportionatly more (since we would not join any birders - that I know of right now) . I have not spoke with keith on the cost if we have MORE than 10...so I will get that info. I will drive down on Thursday and if anyone needs a place to stay on Thursday night just let me know....I don't think I can put 10 up unless you have a sleeping bag and would floor it. Looking forward to this and hope the weather plays out.

juro
08-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Great tide (timing).

I can't do a weekday but wish you guys the best with the bait situation in place it could be explosive down there.

Warren
08-30-2007, 10:02 AM
John,
I was gonna drive down Friday, but staying at The CAC sounds like a much sounder idea as I have to leave Friday night. Unless the world goes totally haywire, I'll see you Thursday night the seventh. Of course I will keep an eye on this thread for further developments. We have to talk flydoc into having a tummy ache that day:hihi:

striblue
08-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Ok Warren...but Thursday night is the 6th....The Trip is Friday the 7th.

Adrian
08-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Darn it - Friday 7th I have a big presentation in Cambridge after which I'm planning on heading to the Cape.

Hope to catch up with folks if anyone is still around.

Paxton
08-30-2007, 11:28 AM
John...just conforming that I am in, if it's a go. I appreciate your generous offer re staying at the CAC, but I teach a course at Assumption College on Thursday nights and wouldn't arrive at the Cape till around 10:30ish....might be better for me to just leave here at 4 in the morning.

Have some questions as I have never done the rip trip....I'm assuming that this is a fast sink line place??? Waders or just beach it? Waves or still water? Thanks
Ron

flydoc
08-30-2007, 12:57 PM
We have to talk flydoc into having a tummy ache that day:hihi:

Unless I was at death's doorstep, I'd still have to work, as one of my associates is on vacation today and tomorrow, and I'm covering his patients as well as mine. Sorry I'll miss it, but I can't dump this on my one remaining associate. See ya next time, and leave a few for me....
Flydoc

FishHawk
08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Ok , hope the weather gods are good to us. Probably take you up on the Thurs. sleepover.:hihi: FishHawk

Warren
08-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Unless I was at death's doorstep, I'd still have to work, as one of my associates is on vacation today and tomorrow, and I'm covering his patients as well as mine. Sorry I'll miss it, but I can't dump this on my one remaining associate. See ya next time, and leave a few for me....
Flydoc

Your a good Man doc. If I was in your shoes I would do the same. I think we can get one last blast in the following weekend. Then I am off to Quebec for a week or so.

John, I am so confused :confused: I meant the 6th, just a small brain fade there.....I stand corrected Thanks.

n1gdo
08-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I too would appreciate some info on what works there...

Is it a wading spot or quick access to deep water ...?

Could we have a Rip Trip 101 correspondence course...

Thank you

Warren
08-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Paxton & Frank,

Conditions would be similar to South Beach or any other sand type beach as far as water depth & beach structure, since I have only been once I imagine surf would depend on wind direction & tide etc...

Frank waders will be good unless you are an Iron man. Tackle would be your normal assortment of Salt Water flies and a 9 or ten wt rod. Bring some water & some munchies if you like. Rain jacket etc.... once we are out there we are there for the day.

I will more than likely bring the Atlantis two hander and a Ten wt for a backup in case one of us breaks a rod.

I am getting excited......whoooHooooo.....oh crap.... I need to tie some flies before next week:hihi: .

I also better get off the computer, we are having a vicious thunderstorm:Eyecrazy:

juro
08-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Frank -

Slide the fly under tension on the bottom's sandy humps and keep it there if you want to hit paydirt. Easier said than done as the current will be ripping into standing waves. Stripping is far less important than keeping the fly out of the mid-depth flow.

Fluid dynamics on a structure like that makes the water slowest at top and bottom, but the fish will be on the bottom in the humps most of the time (although they will get up and break occasionally). The bait is being flushed and the predators will be stationed in the slower water with their bellies rubbing the sand so thats where you need to keep the fly.

A fly with a narrow profile will stay in the zone longer, like a sand eel pattern which also makes a good silverside pattern in seafoam green with complimentary flash materials and plain silver eyes.

High density sinking line and a streamlined fly are the ticket. Be one with the bottom and you will hook up all day.

BTW - I showed the Estey brothers the "Estey swing" at the 1999 Outer Limits Clave on Race Point. I was hooking up one after the other and they were clearly frustrated. Those boys aren't used to being outfished by anyone as they are natural born fishers. I showed them the narrow fly / sinking line swing working the eased bottom current in the longshore flow. They ran back to the car to get what they needed and came back and the three of us were on non-stop. Anyway even I call it the Estey swing now :)

Then there's walking the dog or scratchin' up a hit and don't make me break out the closer, if you have a good day you will take home the commemorative :lildevl: ;) ;)

striblue
08-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks Warren and Juro... the other thing for you guys to do is search back on this forum for the earlier Rip Trips which covers everything...Just plan on bringing the same stuff you would for a full day at North Monomoy or South beach, bring food and water, first aid kit.. sun screen, bug spray (you probably will not need that), maybe a small plastic bag with wrapped TP or Kleenex.....one or two guys usually brings an extra fly rod in the event someone breaks a rod...Walkee-talkees are a good idea so we can communicate with each other on conditions if we split up... I don't wear waders down there simply because I don't like them for walking and you can step out of the water anytime you want.... the wading is just off the beach.... The surf is usually big around the corner of the point but the rip is usually a right to left or left to right water flow of considerable speed depending on the phase of the tides and moon phases.

n1gdo
08-31-2007, 07:19 AM
Great info.,.. most appreciated!

shadfreak
08-31-2007, 09:09 AM
I wish I could go but my soccer team has a game that day. I suggest that you also bring a floater and some poppers. I get such a charge having fish blast out of the fast water. Splash splash missed, Splash splash missed, Splash splash missed, splash fish on woo hoo! Good luck.
Larry aka shadfreak

vtloon
09-01-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm good to go. Staying at the CAC thur night would be great if available.

Warren, I'll pm you re' ride-share.

striblue
09-01-2007, 05:38 PM
OK ...so we have 8 so far including a guy named Mike who has registered I think under "Bluefish "something..... CAC is available. By this post I will bump up again.

bonefishmon
09-04-2007, 06:24 AM
I am a possibility but cannot commit just yet.

Phil

striblue
09-04-2007, 10:33 AM
OK Phil...I just called Keith and left a message that I am assuming we are on... and that it would be a 7am departure time.... just let me know ..that would make 9.... suppose to be a great day weather wise with 90 degree temps atleast in Boston...hope the wind is down.

Rip Ryder
09-04-2007, 11:16 AM
John,

7am sounds good to me. The early reports are for windy conditions Thursday night thru Sat with the heat coming back in. We can just keep and eye on that and make our decision Thurs. Night.

Keith

Warren
09-04-2007, 06:23 PM
John,

The early reports are for windy conditions Thursday night thru Sat with the heat coming back in.

Keith

I am not sure I would know how to cast if the wind was not blowing 20-25:mad:

FishHawk
09-05-2007, 05:55 AM
If the Rip is out then could we do the Mid way as a backup? My Marine radio reported that the winds would be SW 10 -15 with no gusts. So , it looks like we could still do the Rip at this point. FishHawk

FishHawk
09-05-2007, 05:56 AM
If the Rip is out then could we do the Mid way as a backup? My Marine radio reported that the winds would be SW 10 -15 with no gusts. So , it looks like we could still do the Rip at this point. FishHawk

FishHawk
09-05-2007, 05:57 AM

Warren
09-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Gosh Bill I heard ya the first time.....:hihi: :hihi:

striblue
09-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks Warren...I got him the first time also:hihi: ..... Yes Keith mentioned that if we caould not get to the rip we will still have options...so as far as I am concerned as of now we are scheduled for a 7AM.....To Jim Simms...Jim please PM me your phne number again and maybe we can meet Thursday night.... also, lets plan on a friday dinner at the Squire with all of us .

Bluefish60657
09-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Bluefish here, yes, I'm still in for whatever trip is scheduled for Friday if that is OK.

I fished N.Monomoy on Sunday morning and it was pretty good. Saw a ton of fish and occasional pods of 12-15 fish breaking here in there and even managed to hook a few on the later stages of the outgoing tide. Some bigger fish were also busting solo and there was a TON of bait around. Also got into a school of micro (6") bluefish which were really cool to see.

I also fished south of Chatham light this morning and saw birds working offshore pretty hard. Too far out to cast to (1/4 mi) but conditions were perfect--no wind and plenty of rips. Didn't see too much bait on the beaches but the estuaries are loaded w/them.

Hitting the North Island this afternoon and I'll report back any findings . . .

Thanks,
Mike

juro
09-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Mike -

With all the bait in the sound it was just a matter of time before it got into the refuge flats.

Now the real fun starts!

Warren
09-05-2007, 05:53 PM
lets plan on a friday dinner at the Squire with all of us .

VT Loon & I will be down Thursday evening. We have to leave Friday night however. I have to work Saturday Morning. This is something that just came up.
Loon is Dinner OK with you?

We will not leave Chatham till 8 or so at night. Could make for long ride home. You will not get home till midnight. Of course you can crash here at my house too. I have lots of room.

The bright side is there will be No traffic leaving the cape at 8 on a Friday night:D

striblue
09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
To the CAC stayers...I will probably be at CAC by 8 PM at the latest.

Bluefish60657
09-06-2007, 08:18 AM
From the previous posts, it looks like everything is on for tomorrow at 7am, correct?

Should I meet you at the Rip Ryder or Outermost Harbors??

Yesterday's trip to the north island was painful. Saw a few BIG splashes and a very big blitz--all out of casting range. All I could do was stand patiently and hope the incoming tide brought the melay into range but it did not happen.

I will check back in tonight (don't have access at the rental house so I have to go to local coffee shop to get online).

Thanks again and looking forward to meeting all of you in the AM.

My cell is (847) 431-2004.

Mike

striblue
09-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Mike...You need to meet at the Rip Ryder for a 7am departure...so you should get there about 6:30.... we will leave at 7am sharp. I spoke with Jim S. yesterday who thought that we would be going down with a group of birders as well.

bonefishmon
09-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi John. Please check your PM.

Phil

Rip Ryder
09-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Sorry to say gentlemen, but we will be blown out for the rip trip tomorrow am.
All weather reports are consistent in showing 15-20 with gust to 25 in the afternoon. Landing on the beach down there would be impossible in those conditions.

I will be doing the regular shuttles at 8am, if that is any consilation prize for those looking to get out, if to just not be at work.

Capt Keith

bonefishmon
09-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Keith. I plan to come up from Ct. if you can do a dropoff for us at the northern tip of South Monomoy (wind more favorable) or any point that will gain us access to that area. If the answer yes, I will leave after seeing your reply in the morning. Thanks Captain.

Phil

jimS
09-06-2007, 08:15 PM
We are set to go to the north tip of S. Monomoy at 8 a.m. for those interested. Keith concurred that we can do that trip and be picked up in the afternoon on the east side of S. Monomoy. Reports yesterday indicated bass were staging in the channel between South and Mini-Moy.

I'll see the dedicated there in the a.m..

striblue
09-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I just saw these posts and plan to be at the Rip Ryder at 8am..... Warren and Todd (VTloon) are here at CAC..... too bad..... we need to schedule more of these for this very reason.... should have scheduled some in June and July....we should talk about trying to do one more in Sept....if there is any interest.

Paxton
09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
See you guys in the a.m....the car is already packed and it would be too depressing to take everything out.......plus...why work when there are other options :-)
Ron

n1gdo
09-07-2007, 06:20 PM
it was nice to put faces with names or at least internet names.... I kept forgetting real names...sorry it must be age!

a great group to fish with.... hope to do it again someday...

too bad that wind messed up the Rip Trip...but we made lemonade out of lemons...

I leave the Cape really early in the morning...so my personal guide... Jim Simms has openings !!!

Thanks Jim... you were great company.. and great to see Fred too !

My best to you all.

FredA
09-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Good fishing with you this week Frank. Woulda been better if the catchin was good too.

Can't remember taking a week off and having catching like this.

So were the fish that were stageing Wednsday there today?

jimS
09-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Fred, nope, the fish were not there today; although, everyone (11) caught fish today. Nothing to write home about, but great day on the water, even though the wind was 30 knots at times.