tying line to leader...the untold story... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: tying line to leader...the untold story...

geardaddy37
08-27-2007, 04:45 PM
I know about the nailknot...most difficult knot EVER!! Wondering about the loop that orvis lines have on the end of their flyline which allows one to simply do an improved cinch knot to connect...my question is, does anyone know how to make their own? I have a flytying vice etc, and could probably do it but what to use for line??
Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.
Bill:)

juro
08-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Nail knot is simple with the right tool. I prefer a large double-ended needle.

If you have a loop already, look up the perfection loop. It's easy and fast.

zimflo.
08-27-2007, 06:18 PM
I use needle nose, or forceps to tie my nail knots because there usually what I have on me.. but when my leader is getting short, I just leave about a half foot of leader on my line, and tie a prefection loop in the end of that.. that way you can just loop to loop leaders on no problem.. and the big ugly loop to loop knot is high enough in your line to not spook fish or affect casting ability..

geardaddy37
08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys, that was a good idea! A perfection loop I can do...just not perfectly!!

flyster
05-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I have to agree with juro. Nail knots are the way to go if you have the right tool. Sooo much faster, and a better finished product that the loops. For reference, I am referring to a tool like this :

http://www.troutbound.com/ProdImages/knottyer.gif