Boneclave trivia question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boneclave trivia question

ssully
08-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Who actually caught the first bonito at a boneclave AFTER the offical start of a boneclave?

Bonus points - What year?

mikez
08-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Well I know I got the first fish at the first bone clave in '99 but that was an albie.
If you're specifically asking about bones, I don't know.

ssully
08-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Well I know I got the first fish at the first bone clave in '99 but that was an albie.
If you're specifically asking about bones, I don't know.

Hi Mike,

Read the question carefully.

mikez
08-24-2007, 11:28 PM
As I said, my fish was an albie not a bonito. I'm not sure what you mean by AFTER the official start. I don't remeber an actual official start. I always figured if you've dropped your camping gear off on the island, you're officially fishing the clave.

craig
08-25-2007, 08:08 AM
gregg esty

craig
08-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Gregg Esty

ssully
08-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Mike,

We typically set a date that everyone shows up on and you're about right dropping the camping gear and start fishing.

Craig,

If memory serves my correctly (which it doesn't often anymore) Greg Esty caught the first bonito at the claves but I think he got it the day before. That's why I put that into the question. Greg please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hint year was 2001.

Quentin
08-26-2007, 08:39 AM
JimW, or someone else on Jim's boat?

Q

JimW
08-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Not a Bonito - I've never gotten them at a clave, just FA's. Wait, Unless that's the year we were short on boats when Chuck and I took shifts running the boat but I'd remember the sushi.

Hawkeye
08-27-2007, 08:43 AM
I caught two bones the day before that clave and caught the first fly caught bone the first day of the clave. I won an old florida reel for that fish so it kind of sticks in the memory fairly well. I do recall there was some question as to wether someone caught one a little earlier than mine but it turned out to be caught on spinning gear. I don't remember who it was who caught the first - I don't remember his name but I think it was your friend Sully who had the bilge pump problems.

Lefty
08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
This all reminds of of Art Burton nailing a Bonito in October during the Rhodey fest and bringing it back to camp for the feast. That's the 2nd time I know of Bones and Rhodey in October. The other I was on the boat of Jim W. on Oct 28! We landed 3 in the 5-7 lb range.

Lefty

ssully
08-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks Greg for the details. Outstanding recall on the bilge pump!!!

Schottie got one that day right off the bat but on the cursed spinning gear. I forgot that you got one that day fly also. But I wouldn't expect anything less from the Pope!

I believe the year was 2001.

And Mike Mahler was the bonito sushi chef extraordinaire . yum!