Wooly bugger's? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wooly bugger's?

zimflo.
08-24-2007, 06:51 PM
I have to this day, (roughly 4yrs from begining my flyfishing career) never caught a fish on a wooly bugger, so if anyone has some mysterious technique they wouldnt mind revealing, please help me out :( thanks.

DARKSCOPE001
08-24-2007, 09:22 PM
WOW! I always catch fish on wooly buggers. infact now that im fishing mostly local streams for bass and panfish. Im almaost in a need to have a "bugger box" I just use the count down and retrieve method. just let it sink for a second or two depending on how deep the water is. and give it little 2" strips and almost every cast i manage to catch a little bluegill or bass. they work great I dont realy understand how you could not catch a fish on a bugger unless there is like an obvious hatch going on of pmd's and you are throwing the biggest brightest colored bugger in your box. but I highly doubt that. now wana hear something kinda weird. me and my buddy were fishing the blacklick river today (little river in pickerington ohio) and I was throwing a sneaky pete to bass. and one of the bigger fish i caught was a..... TROUT! I had no idea a trout would even think about taking a sneaky pete but i snaged him right in the lower lip. nice fish too.

popper
08-25-2007, 10:10 AM
I do all right with them. I don't know that I have any special secrets. I like to use black more than any other color.

This year I tried tying a few with lead eyes, like a Clouser minnow. It works pretty well. You can swim them for bass. I don't know if that's cheating or not. :hihi:

zimflo.
08-25-2007, 11:43 AM
I suppose I should have said Ive never caught a trout on one :( bass and panfish are easy with them, I just let it sink, then my line moves and I have a panfish.. but trout, Ive tried letting it sink a bit, than a slow retrieve, Ive tried short strips and jerks, and Ive tried stripping it as fast as I can.. but all to no avail.

FrenchCreek
08-25-2007, 12:40 PM
WB's are a stable in my trout fishing arsenal both in lakes and rivers. You can fish them as nymphs, leeches, tumbling stone flies etc. depending on their colour and size. The trick is to find the right size & colour combination for the waters you are fishing and one of the best ways to find that out is to ask around for local knowledge of patterns and presentation, and do a ot of experimentation. If you tie your own, make sure you use a very soft hen hackle, not a stiff dry fly hackle. This prevents the flie from twisting around like a propeller and allows the hackle to lay back and pulsate.
Good luck in your experiments!

millerbrown
08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Ok! I love questions like this! If I were stranded on a wilderness river, a wilderness lake or on a strip of uninhabited coastline and I had ONE FLY to catch ANYTHING or starve to death I'd choose a wooley bugger, black, in a size 8. Something would hit that fly. Fished dead drift or on a quartering cast in a river or just thrown out there on a stillwater it is a fish catching machine.

Keep trying!!

Millerbrown

zimflo.
08-25-2007, 03:30 PM
I was fishing the Fall river just a few days ago, and a ways up river from the hatchery, there is this beautiful sand bottemed pond type thing that the river flows through, and big trout (12-25in) with plenty of them in the 18in range are easy to see and point out. It was somewhat like fishing for bones where as you could see your prey, and you could spook them with a really bad cast.. (not one of mine ofcourse:roll: ) and I ended up trying every pattern in my box, and the caught 5 fat 14in trout on a parachute midge fly, an 18-19 hefty fella on a variation on the hares ear nymph I tie mainly with pheasent tail.. and a few other fish on just various nymphs and drys..

But, I tried every technique I could muster on them.. casting a good distance away so as not to spook the giants.. then a slow retrieve, (got some trout to follow but not inhale it..) then a fast retrieve(fish to fat and lazy to follow it) then a few jerks and a fast short stripping technique (again.. futile.)

I tried white, black, brown, brow/green, white/black, and conehead white/black(most effective one..)

flytyer
08-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Like FrenchCreek mentioned. Woolly Buggers work very well for trout and they can imitate a large variety of food forms. Try a a short, moderately fast strip of 4"-6" followed by a pause repeated until the cast has been completely fished out in the situation you described.

Quentin
08-26-2007, 07:55 AM
I've had trout hit a black rabbit strip fly retrieved very fast just under the surface. I bet a large (3") black woolly bugger would be just as effective fished this way. I've also caught trout on #6 or #8 black bead-head buggers by just letting them sink. If I tried to retrieve, the fish would follow and sometimes swipe at the fly, but the only way I could get one to eat was to let the fly freefall.

Q

zimflo.
08-26-2007, 11:36 AM
would size really make a difference? I think most of mine are tied on size 12-8 hooks..

zimflo.
08-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Heres a photo of one of my buggers.. Its a shame the image sucks, Its a really nice bugger..

Its cone headed, and the whole streamer hook shank is rapped in medium sized lead.. tail has about 15-20 marabou blood quill fibers, and the chinelle is med black.. The hackle is held down by fine gold wire, and is black hen cape.(flows and moves well)

size=12-10 I think.. mabey its size 8

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/9259/p1010011uk6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

geardaddy37
08-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Looks like an 8...nice !!
I also tie mine with lead, and if possible a conehead or weight of some kind. and a nice long tail. It is a definite "go to" fly in the rivers around mid michigan. Black is a great color, and I sometimes try to work some red in there. (egg sucking leech style...) Come to the Grand River in Michigan and I will get you some smallies on your fly!!

zimflo.
08-27-2007, 11:54 PM
haha, thanks man Ill have to try this out on a local stream.. ITs got all the lead I could pack on it.. I cant even get them to sink with out it..