Honeymoon Bonefishing Thoughts? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Honeymoon Bonefishing Thoughts?

bonefishmon
08-24-2007, 07:43 AM
My son and his fiance are getting married on October 6, 2007. She does not fish regularly but is happy to tag along.

They would like to fly to a spot that both will enjoy as Tim does not want to fish the whole time. At this point they are considering the Capt. Morgan Resort at Ambergris Cay off shore from Belize. Some DIY fishing one day guided.

Any thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Phil

juro
08-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Phil -

I guess that depends on the bride's tastes. I would think possibly Sandals in Turks and Caicos would be more suitable for this however the cost of guided fishing there can be high. I've heard that in Provo one can sneak around during the off hours and DIY as well. I am sure the resorts in the area will live up to honeymoon billing.

Might check the fall storm situation too.

Good luck and congrats

petevicar
08-25-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi Phil
Before I answer your question I must ask a few.

What sort of fish does he want to catch?
Should the fishing be DIY or guided?

Are they looking for a secluded, romantic place or somewhere more lively?

What are the cost considerations?

Pete

bonefishmon
08-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi Phil
Before I answer your question I must ask a few.

What sort of fish does he want to catch?
Should the fishing be DIY or guided?

Are they looking for a secluded, romantic place or somewhere more lively?

What are the cost considerations?

Pete

This is Tim's first sightfishing trip to the islands (cays) so Bones would probably be his best choice, second being Permit. Grand slam would be nice but smaller Tarpon. All three are available at Ambergris I think. I will be paying for the guide so $400 plus tip would be fine. Just one day. The rest would be DIY along a secluded beach. Night life will be needed to an extent to keep Kate amused. Ambergris is a flight into Belize City from Boston so there is no need to island hop increasing the cost. Lodge provides transport from the airport to the ferry. They are hoping to keep the R&B under $1500.00 as it is off season and room rates lower. I hope to take Tim to Acklins this year with the Forum. I hope this sums it up.

Phil

flyinsalt
08-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan already, as long as this last hurricane didn't do too much damage. If Belize doesn't work out you might also consider Cancun. Plenty of night life and things to do. Do a search on the internet and you will find several guides out of Cancun now.

FredA
10-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Congrats Phil. I'm curious, did the happy couple go to Ambergis?

I talked to a guy on the beach this morning who lives on Ambergis (and renting a place on my beach for 3 months. Nice life, eh) He said he lost a dock in the last hurricane but otherwise the general damage wasn't too bad.