Advice required [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Advice required

Stevo
08-22-2007, 09:20 AM
I have a friend, who will be in the U.S on business around the 10th November, who would like to now what's available, fish wise, at that time of year?

His location is quite flexible (East coast) but I think he has a hankering for a Striper!

In the panels expert opinion, where would be his best bet?

Smcdermott
08-22-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm thinking Chessapeake bay if its a Striper quest only. I assume he is willing to get a guide as I believe the bridge and tunnel area would require a boat. If he is open to other species the Albie fishing on the outer banks should be good as well.

Sean

striblue
08-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Stevo, how are you doing? Sean has the right locations. If your friend is to make such a trip...There is a great , and well known guide in Hags Head, North Caroline named Brian Horsley. Sarah Gardiner is with him at his guide service. Outer Banks, etc. I have spoken with him a number of times about flies. If he is unable to guide him for some timing reason, he no doubt will have some recomendations. Just Google "Brian Horsley" and you will have his web site, with contact info, as the first thread... Good Luck , John

Stevo
08-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Sean - many thanks.

John - I'm fine thanks, but am missing the striped one's!
I've head of Brian Horsley, so I'll get his deatils off to my friend along with Sean's advice on Chessapeake.

Thanks again guys... I knew I could count on you.

Smcdermott
08-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Stevo,

I agree with John in that Brian and Sarah have great reps. I have seen them in action down there but never fished with them. From the radio chatter it sounded like they were getting it done in tough conditions last year.

Two other Cape guides that I believe guide there in the fall are Jaime Boyle and Bill Strakele. Well in Bill's case he was a former Cape guide. Both also have great reputations if Brian and Sarah can't accomodate your buddy in Harkers.

Personally I don't know anybody for the Chesapeake but there was an article in one of the recent FFSW about that fishery. Might be some names to try in there.

Sean

BigDave
08-22-2007, 12:51 PM
I would second the Harkers idea.

I hired Horsley years ago and he was very good but he may be booked up by now. He will poke out to the wrecks if it's slow inshore which many of the guides will not do. Oftentimes that can save your tip. Joe Shute would be another capt. to check out - he will go out to the wrecks for kings and AJ's - real nice guy to boot.

When it's good down there it's about as good as it gets...

Mike Oliver
08-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Heh Binksey,

Will he wade as well as take the easy ride in the boat. LOL .10th Nov is still prime time on Long Island. Get out to the Montauk area and take his chances. Plenty of shore fishing and the crowds are starting to thin faster than whats left of your and mines hair.

Oly

titleguy
08-26-2007, 11:50 AM
If you check Brian Sarah's website and check the Morehead City/CapeLookout folder it lists their available dates for October and November. They are the King and Queen of Harker's Albies and I would highly recommend their services.

Stevo
08-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Cheers guys, I've given my friend the details you've all recommended.

Mikey 'O'... It's Allan who's asking!

Mike Oliver
08-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Binksey,

I always thought Alllan was his own man and did not need hand holding. Tis indeed a sad day for me. Still he is in the USA so often with his new job that he can have his pick. If he don't like something there is always next time. 6 weeks to Montauk. Blood starting to warm up.

Mike

Stevo
08-28-2007, 09:12 AM
It's that new job of his Mike... It's made him soft! :chuckle:

Mike Oliver
08-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Stevo,

And lose the last of his hair. That's something us three have in common at least. LOL.

Mike