re: global flyrodding experiment!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: re: global flyrodding experiment!!

geardaddy37
08-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Well, I have a map of the world in my office, and wanted to do a little experiment with a couple of my clients ( I work with people with schizophrenia...) so if you would mind I would like to know where you are from (country / geographic region), your home river or lake, and your favorite fish to flyrod for. If you would like, maybe add your most productive fly... We will be marking on our world map and using the information to look up different species of fish, and having folks plan their "dream trip" to some place. Thanks for participating!
Bill
PS: I have a group of folks who I am able to take out fishing several times during the summer, and it has grown into quite a popular activity! Fishing is a very normalizing, community inclusive activity with many benificial results. My group says to say "HI!" to everyone around the world who enjoys fishing like we do!!

Galong
08-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Southern Thailand - find Phuket Island on the Andaman Sea side of the Malay Peninsula, then look slightly north and inland and you should see Khao Sok National Park. There is a big reservoir called Cheow Lan (spelling may vary). That's my favorite fishing spot.

It's loaded with a lot of interesting species, but my favorite is the Giant Snakehead Fish... yep, the bad guy in many US waters.

I catch them on frog-colored bass poppers mostly, but they hit big streamers too.

I hope this helped. Send us some pics of your fishing buddies please.

geardaddy37
08-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks Galong, you are the first flag on our map! Can't do the pic thing (confidentiality stuff...). A general point of interest though is that most of them don't fly fish at all, it requires too much psycho-motoric coordination, however they like to watch me and so they developed an interest! They share these stories with me on my office computer so if you have any questions feel free to fire away!! Looking for some other continents...South Asia, Kamchatka, Africa??
C'mon people! :cool:

tie-dye-fly-guy
08-22-2007, 09:32 PM
but i love the idea you have. great idea to add geography as a way to see where our brothers of hook and feather or whatever reside as we get together by an internet disconnect.

I really want to catch one of those guys (snake head) ever since they were found in mid atlantic waters like true outlaws. bounty or not, i was willing to go down there and fish em out at all costs if it became an issue for conservation, preservation, or even national security. im in a great striper-northern atlantic fishery 1 minute away, and would gladly swap a trip one day if that interests you.

at least 5 hours west of me is my favorite quarry. thats a blessing in its own right. Steelhead reign supreme!

Galong
08-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey Geardaddy,

Hmm, I didn't think of the confidentially part... makes sense. Good luck with the project. It's a great idea.

There are some pics of Giant Snakehead fish at http://www.thaifishingguide.com/gallery/freshwater/giantsnakehead/giant_snakehead.html

I don't have any pics of the snakeheads that I've caught on flies unfortunately. They're admittedly usually a bit smaller than those in these photos... but hey, I caught 'em on a fly so there. :o

OK, tie-dye-fly-guy, we've got to figure out how to do a swap. I would LOVE to catch a Steelhead. That's a dream fish for me.

geardaddy37
08-23-2007, 06:57 AM
OK tiedie flyguy I'm gonna put you down for mid atlantic. The marker is on Virginia, if it's jersey coast or something else let us know! Wow, cool pics of that snakehead Galong! I heard that they have been sighted in Michigan waters...anyone else hear about that? The worry is that they are such predatory fish that they clean out all the other fish. I have a hard time believing that they could be more predatory than Salmon or bass or trout or even the fresh lake pirhana! (sunfish):devil: I also heard they can breath out of water, so they can actually plant themselves in other water. Whatever, they seem pretty adaptable.
Last time I took folks out we caught 1 big carp, a red tailed sucker, a couple juvenile smallies, and several bluegills. Our river has all spieces, even heard that steelies come up the Grand River as far as Eaton Rapids, thanks to the fish ladders that have been built.
I know this is seen as blasphemy on this website, but we are going to be making our own spinners next week, a la Jim Bedford (local fishing god...) Everybody gets to take a couple home with them, and no one has yet gotten a hook in their hand...Knock on wood! If they are ok with posting their pics I will have them sign a release and maybe get some mug shots!!:D
Bill

Galong
08-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey Bill,

I doubt that Snakeheads would be any more of a serious threat than, say, pike or pickerel. They are very similar in attitude.

There's a lot of what I consider misinformation about snakeheads. They can live out of water for a bit, but no longer than a catfish. They don't walk from one lake to another either. All this falls into the category of sensationalism in the media... and we know that the media never really exaggerates anything or lays it on thick now do they. :p

Hey tie-dye-fly-guy,

Are you from Va? I'm from Hampton! It's a great place to leave... in my most humble opinion anywho.

Ciao for now....
Dave

tie-dye-fly-guy
08-24-2007, 07:35 AM
im one of many zany fly guys on the northeast coast of USA. i live in beverly MASS, just 15 miles north of boston. birthplace of the navy. if you ever find yourself in USA NY,MASS, or OH then i can meet up with you to get you that steelhead. recently been looking around for another job and funny how much steelhead geography plays in making that decision.

Galong
08-24-2007, 08:34 PM
if you ever find yourself in USA NY,MASS, or OH then i can meet up with you to get you that steelhead. recently been looking around for another job and funny how much steelhead geography plays in making that decision.
I usually spend July in the States. Is that a good month for catching Steelheads? I know almost nothing about them other than the fact that they are big and beautiful and are usually found in lovely streams.

geardaddy37
08-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Hi tie dye, I will have to move your flag up the coast a bit! Thanks!
Salmon are running in most of the northern rivers of Michigan, and lots of pier - fish on the big lakes being taken right now. The Steelies will come in after the salmon eggs, and there is a smaller run of them in August September, but most come in spring - (April for you in the southern hemisphere!) Then there are fish that seem to stay put in the river year round. I tell ya, the steelies kind of have a mind of their own sometimes. Right now folks are getting a lot of nice browns too.
If you google "Pere Marquette Lodge" you'll get good river information.
Just purchased an Okuma 6 weight large arbor for my 13 year old son...if this blasted rain would ease up we could get out on the river!! Happy fishing!!
Bill

flytyer
08-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Washington State's Northen Puget Sound is where I live. Steelhead is what I fish for 99% of the time all year round. The Skagit River about 10 miles upriver from its mouth flows right through town. I fish the Northern Puget Sound rivers, the Olympic Peninsula rivers around the town of Forks, WA, travel up to BC's Thompson, and miss fishing Central Washington State's Wenatchee River, which has been closed for 10 years now.

geardaddy37
08-25-2007, 08:57 PM
More good locations to look up on Tuesday when we meet next! Would that be near Bellingham? My brother in law lives there. That is truly God's country! Good mountainbiking up there too!! (Whistler). Thanks for contributing, :smile:
Bill

flytyer
08-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Bill,

Yes, Mount Vernon, where I live, is close to Bellingham, it is about 30 miles south via I-5. It is wonderful country even though it rains the better part of 8 months out of the year.