new to the group, and fly fishing sort of...! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: new to the group, and fly fishing sort of...!

dead fly
08-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Hello all.
I am new to the group, and pretty new to fly fishing. I did have a fly rod in the past,(few years back). At that time I had become pretty decient as casting, but never really caught that many fish.
About a week ago, the fly bite me again. So I went to cabala's and bought a three forks 5wt fly rod combo. Amazingly I still had many things for fly fishing such as many,many flys. Line a few leaders and tippits. Also strik indicators, vest, net, and my old rod/reel. But new is better... lol
This morning I went out to a small river near by my home. My hope was to cauch a few sun fish. or anything really. It was sad fish jumping all around me; but not one fish. Just a bit fustrating...... Maybe it just isnt meant to be for me.. lol

zimflo.
08-18-2007, 11:24 PM
If its trout, its probaby your line size.. and tippit length, but just keep fishing!! practice makes perfect so to speak..

Warren
08-19-2007, 05:46 AM
Hello dead fly and welcome to the forum.
You say you were fishing for sunfish, what were you using for a fly? small cork poppers work great for sunfish & bluegills. As do wet flies such a a soft hackle type fly. I think poppers work better and are way more fun

Not knowing your exact location I have no idea what type of fish may be jumping. So what ever the rising fish were, they were not interested in your fly or like Zim says your leader was too big & tippet not long enough. Or wrong type of fly.

Don't give up, ask around at your local fly shop, or strike up a conversation with another fisherman at the parking lot etc.. Fly fishermen will for the most part give up a tid bit of information here & there:D

But ask a specific question here & someone will come along eventually with an answer

geardaddy37
08-19-2007, 09:56 AM
HI! I am new to this forum also, and having fun on this rainy day in the great lakes watershed drinking a cup of coffee with several thousand of my on line flyfisihing friends...:cool:
I went out with my spey rod two days ago and just like you, fish jumping and breaking water everwhere, but not a one wanting anything to do with my little beadhead crayfish imitator...!:razz:
yesterday things were different. I retied my tippet with a different diameter, and made it a bit shorter, and I went to a popper. the long and short of it is I caught and released 8 fish, most in the 15 ich range, two of them in the 18 inch (smallies).
When I am not catching fish I am ok with it because I have learned to enjoy other aspects of being on the river (ie no cell phone, no worries...) Three grey herons, mallard ducks, purple martins swooping for mosquitos, the sound of the riffles, etc... It's all good brother! :)
Bill

dead fly
08-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Well I was fishing with a 5wt fly rod, using a 5wt wf floating line. The tippit was a 6x .. I tryed using poppers, wolly bugers and strimmers as well as an assortment of wet and dry flys for that matter....
I live in misisota about 40 mins or so from the twin citys in Elk River. I'm only blocks from the mississippi river. And close to many other lakes and rivers . I was fishing at the crow river. You can fine many spieces if fish their... Sun fish crappy, bull heads small mouth and large mouth bass, walleye.
I'd just like to learn how to catch a fish.... lol Hoopfully without buying a new rod/reel right away.

geardaddy37
08-19-2007, 03:34 PM
...sometimes they just aint bitin'...but time on the river will produce results! Hankg in there!!
:) Tight lines, Bill

dead fly
08-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I guess that is true. Although I have been out daily for weeks; seldome reciving even a bite. While other people are catching fish.

But tomarow is another day. I'm going to try a crayfish fly I picked up from cabela's this evening. With all the small, and big mouth bass in the river. I just might get lucky.. Or not ... lol