toobies shot and other non toxic alternatives [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: toobies shot and other non toxic alternatives

DARKSCOPE001
08-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Hey guys I got a quick question for all of you. and hopefully im not putting this in the wrong place. But a few years back when i got into fly fishing Toobies shot had just been released. So I bought into it because i red the little add about it and thought it was just the cats meow. well here i am about 2 years later and I hate the stuff. so I have a quick question for you Does anyone actualy like this stuff? and I was just wondering if you could tell me about any other non toxic alternatives. Yes I know about the tin shot. And it is far better than lead But it still contains toxins that are harmfull to our envirnment. so I was wondering if anyone knows if maby they have made a tungston split shot or something? Or has anyone tried the tungston puddies? Im a suspicious of them. Not that I Think they are harmfull for the envirnment but I think they will either slip off the leader or slide around (not like the toobies shot dident do that anyways!) but any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreceated.

THANKS
Sean Scott

BigDave
08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
I have tried the sink putty and while it sinks like a stone, it does leave a residue on your tippett and all over your hands - I did not like it, especially if you want to switch to dries or handle small flies. I don't think split shot is something that can be improved upon but the industry will continue to try (LED, toobies, etc).

J. Marcus
09-16-2007, 11:13 PM
I actually like the tungsten paste. One of the secrets to keeping it off of the fingers is to moisten your fingers lightly with saliva before you mess with it. It sinks like a rock and I find that I loose more split shot off my line than I do the paste. To get the residue off of your line you can rub it with a bit of dry cloth. Detergent works OK also.

J. Marcus

Eddie
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
I like the tungsten putty as well. When it is not too ho tor too cold, it can work well in a pinch. But I always carry splitshot just in case. There are all kinds of brands and some work better than others and sometimes they switch formulas...

toobies seem like a lot of work. I hate fishing with weights and indicators but sometimes I would rather catch fish than not.