Next Rip Trip - Saturday, Aug. 18 and/or 19 ? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Next Rip Trip - Saturday, Aug. 18 and/or 19 ?


striblue
08-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Spoke to Ed today. Keith will call me tonight with a MUNG report. If he sees none (and will continue to check up till we go) lets have another for this Saturday or Sunday. Any number can sign up... Or a weekday next week...or both. Lets start with the weekend....sign up here and I will get the first MUNG report this evening and post the results.

shadfreak
08-15-2007, 02:48 PM
HI John
I can go any of the following days 19, 20, 21, 25, 26. If one of these is going to be a trip sign me up.
Larry

Guernseybass
08-15-2007, 03:43 PM
sorry, I can't make this weekend at all. :(

if there is still some mung around, i was thinking that a popper or slider with a weed guard might do the trick if cast between the weed patches ?


Mark.

striblue
08-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Mark, good point, I think if there is any mung around we will not go, and schedule for the week after, If we have numbers we can do it during the week... we shall see.

bonefishmon
08-15-2007, 06:54 PM
John. Perhaps it would be beneficial to pick the day based on lenght of time available to fish the entire incoming tide? The mung may be there at dead low and clear out an hour or so into the incoming. On the 11th (last trip) the low occured around 5am and fishing started, I'm guessing, around 7.45am and stayed good for about two hours? Does any of this make sense? I know weather plays a BIG part in this. What weather pattern tends to blow the mung away from the rip? Wind was out of the north west on the last trip. Maybe a SW would help keep it off the shoreline?

As an example, Wednesday the 29th has a 7am low in the event the dreaded mung is still around.

Phil

Warren
08-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I cannot make it this Weekend( trout fishing) or Next, I have an event in town here I am involved with. I might be able to slip out mid week, but only if my work schedule gets messed up somehow.

I'll keep an eye on things here, you never know, I may decide to come down on a moments notice

striblue
08-15-2007, 08:29 PM
I have not heard back from Keith Yet, but will speak with him tomorrow. We were catching fish on the incoming but it has always been the outgoing which is what we shoot for. But working both tides is something that we can do. For example, if there had been no mung our day could have been much better since we were in the time frame of the outgoing as well. In order to pull these off , and since we are there all day, we need to pick meaningful dates to get numbers. I had thought that by scheduling "several" trips we can minimize the cancellations because of weather, etc. With the new boat, there is still the matter of a strong south west wind, like today, where he did not go out for beach drops and only did seal trips. If we can not get numbers for Saturday we can try during the week. Naturally, I do not know about numbers until I post...so...scheduling several in close proximity seems to be the way to go. We are looking to September as well, but there are still three more weekends (plus numerous weekdays if people can get out of work, etc) though labor day and as the weather and water cool...the mung goes. To plan a trip around the arrival or departure of mung on a specific day, just gives us a small window and we should be looking at full days of mung free casting.

vtloon
08-15-2007, 08:49 PM
I'll stay tuned on dates. The next two weekends are out due to sailing races, but the weekdays could work (myself & possibly one other). Warren I'll let you know if I'm going to be driving by.

Warren
08-16-2007, 04:47 AM
Sounds good Loon, The ride is much shorter with company.

FishHawk
08-16-2007, 06:33 AM
My suggestion would be to shoot for Sept. A lot of people are trying to get in the last fling of Summer in the next few weeks. Sept . with it's cool crisp weather and lack of people seems ideal for us. Perhaps we might get lucky and get some Albies in the mix. There is one problem with Sept. and that is the weather as usual but the Tropical storms start heading up the coast. In fact there are a couple of them brewing as I post this.
FishHawk.

striblue
08-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Bill, I could not agree more with you, but let's see what happens, and, as you know we will do September anyway. I called Ed this morning and he indicated that keith will call me today after a few checks during several tide changes as he motors by during the seal cruises. But here is what Ed told me. There is a group of birders going down. Keith would drop off the birders then us, but we don't need 10... all we will need is a number less than 10. Ed said that he will need to reclear with Keith the number he is willing to take, he could go with one, which would be me if there is no mung....or 4 guys...or6 . etc...ALL for only $30 ....no paying any difference with the usual $300....he can justify this because he needs to make the trip anyway with the birders... he needs to know how many since he needs to call the birders to let them know they will have company going down. But I still need to wait on the exact number he is willing to do, or rather the exact minimum . If this worked out and birders go down quite a bit we might have a better window and better cost and not be locked into a certain number going down...this is good. more later....If there is no mung, I might have the rip to myself this Saturday. By the way Where is Juro???? still down at the Newport Jazz fest?

juro
08-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Brother John -

I just got in late last night from Detroit, which I stumbled onto a flight to get there very early monday after the weekend in Newport which came after the red-eye all night flight from a week and a half in Seattle. The week before I was in Ft.Myers.

I have been checking in now and then from various locations but sporadically at best.

Anyway... it's so funny I was reading your post thinking hmmm... maybe not just you and you asked where the hell I was! HAHA

Let me see if this is going to work out... talk soon buddy

FredA
08-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Looks like I can make Saturday if this goes off.

Sean Juan
08-16-2007, 07:11 PM
I can go either Saturday or Sunday...hopefully see you then.

striblue
08-16-2007, 07:35 PM
I just spoke to keith and he could not get close enough today to check mung but will try again tomorrow and radio some Captains he knows. Also, I am going to SB tomorrow and will check the ocean side...the temps tomorrow are suppose to be in the 70's as is Saturday. My middle son will come with me as well.... so lets give it till the end of the day tomorrow. Keith says that the birders are going as well as a couple other hikers so the cost for us is $30 regardless of the numbers... I told him I had myself, my son, Fred and Sean Juan so far...with the possibility of Juro and Fish Hawk if I can get him away from Yaking;) Stay tuned.

FishHawk
08-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I would like to go also. Hope the Mung goes away. FishHawk

Adrian
08-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Serves me right - I should check in more often.

Happens I'm in Cambridge today and tommorow. My wife asked if I would make a Cape trip out of it and I said - probably not :roll:

What could I have been thinking?

Anyway, I'll try to pay a bit more attention........

Hope you guys get another one in - the weather this w/e looks ideal.

I got to get some use out of my clamming perrnit too!

FishHawk
08-17-2007, 10:45 AM
John asked me to post this as he couldn't get on the web.
The Rip Trip is off because of two reasons. Mung and the Wind.
Sunday is also not going to happen because of the Mung.
Next week might be a possibility according to John.

FishHawk

striblue
08-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks Bill, I just got back on ...don't know why I could not get on the wireless.... anyway, what Bill says and I will hope we can get one more in before the September trips. I will post this coming Monday if the following weekend works.

Sean Juan
08-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Well next weekend I can do Saturday - but most likely I can't Sunday.

flydoc
08-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I'd be up for either day the following weekend (25 or 26).
Flydoc

jimS
08-17-2007, 04:31 PM
John, I'll be back the 28th, and can do whatever from then on. While the rip is definitely the right move, don't forget the midway. It has some nice structure.

striblue
08-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Jim, I agree.... we can do both and alternate ..or whatever...I will try for another date and check the tides as well since we do have time until this Mung departs

Warren
08-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Drats munged again. :mad: I got blown out this weekend for my Yak trout fishing trip as well.


I am out next weekend as I am involved in an event here Sutton NH at the farm museum. Labor day weekend end I am not going any where near an interstate highway:tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk:

So mid week trips or the two mid sept weekends work for me as of right now. I'll keep my ear to the ground......or is it an eye on the board:confused: