Smallest rod for Stripers? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Smallest rod for Stripers?

South Shore
08-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Was wondering what people use on the small side for schoolie stripers? I've heard of people using down to 5 and 6 wt rods.

JimW
08-10-2007, 11:19 AM
My custom wrapped 7wt worked fine for stripes up to 26" this morning:) I'm sure you can go smaller but I think below a 6wt you might miss the backbone of a heavier rod. If it's just twinkies in the spring I guess you could go lower. I use the 7wt when I figure I'm going to catch mostly schoolies. If something big takes the offering I've still got half a chance of landing it.

FishHawk
08-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Couple of things to consider. The Wind and the fish. The Wind is usually a big factor up here and you sometimes need a heaver rod and line combo to punch through the wind. Second, I like to play the fish quickly and not stress them out. With a lighter rod there is a chance that it will take longer to bring in the fish which might put more stress on them. FishHawk just my .02

MarkS
08-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I have a couple 6-wts that I'm happy with in a variety of settings. have used these off the back beaches as well as in estuaries. This was my first choice rod for surf fishing in CA before I moved east, but then I was most often catching perch, and the occasional halibut or striper.

Now, I'll pick the 6 if the wind is down, I'm fishing flies of 1/0 or smaller and expecting fish to be on the smaller size. Expect I could still put the screws to something a bit bigger should she show up, but would definitely go bigger if I'm specifically looking for something bigger.

mark

South Shore
08-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the replys. I recently got a new reel and intermediate line for my 5 wt for trout in brackish waters. Realized I might wind up with some schoolies on the end of it too if I'm out at the mouth of the river. I've handled some good-size bass in fresh water with it so I think it'll be strong enough. Casting in the wind hasn't been too bad either.

PEC54
08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
When I haven't been throwing a 2hander this year I 've been casting a 7 wt. rod with a 9 wt. floater , I have not had any problems subdoing 30 + in. fish on it , just fight them deeper in to the butt.:hihi: