Bowfin on flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bowfin on flies

vtloon
08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
That time of year, lots of big Bowfin in the shallows. Saw some swirls the other night, so walked down to the shore and saw several big fish working the shoreline. Grabbed a rod from the boat which was already rigged with a small mylar body streamer. After a few casts to one fish, had a take and good fight from a 10ish# Bowfin. After releasing it, I happened to look Under the boat (on lift) as I put the rod back. I counted 8 Bowfin..2 were in the 15-18# range.

It's interesting, when Bowfin are in the water, their coloring is light-med tan with varigations like a Brook Trout. Out of the water they look flat olive drab/mud color.

titleguy
08-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Nice- I used to catch them in East Creek in Orwell, around Mud Island in Panton and the mouth of Otter Creek/Lewis/Little Otter- mucho fun.:)

Quentin
08-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Sounds like fun! Do they hit aggresively or do you need to drop it right in front of them and entice them to hit?

Q

vtloon
08-15-2007, 09:05 PM
To answer Quentin's question: Depends. Most of the time they need it right in their location kind of suspended over their weed patch. I use a streamer with foam inside the mylar body.

However sometimes they will actively take multiple short excursions chasing small baitfish near shorelines. In this mode thay will aggressively chase and strike. Everytime I have seeen this mode it has been a late afternoon/early evening with extreme heat humidity that feels like a thunderstorm is just about to happen.

flyjkol
08-16-2007, 12:31 AM
If carp are the poor man's bonefish, bowfin are the poor man's tarpon.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one whose ever chased them around with a long rod.

Quentin
08-16-2007, 09:53 PM
If carp are the poor man's bonefish, bowfin are the poor man's tarpon.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one whose ever chased them around with a long rod.

Hmm . . ., I thought shad were the poor man's tarpon :hihi: . Do bowfin jump during the battle? Even if they don't jump they must be a blast to catch, especially when they are in the mood to chase bait. Some of my favorite carp fishing experiences are the few times when the carp charged at the fly or lure.

Q

flyjkol
08-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Sorry midwesterner talking here :roll:. I've had them jump before but far from consistently. Bowfin are just pure muscle on the fight.

Skip
10-11-2007, 03:25 PM
I am new to this board and fly fishing, but not so new to fishing as i have many years of that. I think maybe I can add something to this thread even though I haven't gone after Bowfin om purpose, but they do give a great fight.

Anyway I can tell you while fishing for bass in several places I have run into Bowfins quite a bit and each and every time it was pretty much the same thing and even same color bait.

My most encounters happened in a reserve on the Gulf Coast in SE Texas and I use to go there a lot. During the mid day it got slow, but I stumbled on to something that really worked on bass and Bowfins.

It started with some soft plastic grubs in a very bright chartreuse and I would rig it Texas style (like a Texas rig worm where the hook point goes all the way through and then turned back to stick the point back in to make it weedless. I would spin when retrieved fast across the pockets in the Lilly pads and they would come out and attack it. You could see the Bowfins wake coming across the water after it.

This was a pretty shallow spot and I have had a similar thing happen here on Toledo Bend in the shallows.

Skip