Sea-Run Trout advice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sea-Run Trout advice

South Shore
08-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Been reading old posts in the forum and getting excited to do some trout fishing this fall. I'm looking at a couple streams near me (near/on Cape Cod) that have sea-run trout in them, and was wondering if anyone knew what time of year they typically get active again and head out to sea? If I was to head a little up river from the mouth in August would there be any action?

Thanks.

flydoc
10-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Bumping this one up, as I'm also a bit interested in any word on the sea-run brookies fishery in Mashpee...I suspect it's strictly catch and release (as it should be)...any info as to what stretches of the stream are open and which are closed? I'll check the Waqouit preserve website to see what info they might have, and post whatever I come up with. Also hear the Cape Cod chapter of Trout Unlimited is heavily involved in this project, so will check out there site as well. I'll be back with the intel.....
Flydoc

South Shore
10-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Looking back I realize I had the movement of the fish reversed. They should be back by now, and spawning I believe (this may only apply to sea-run browns though...). I think the TU chapter for SE Mass asks people to let up on them in Oct/Nov to keep the stress on them low while spawning.

I still haven't gotten down to the streams in Mashpee, but there are a couple that I believe have sea-runs. Its going to be tough to find time through the holidays, but if there are some nice days after the new-year I may do some more investigating down on the cape.