08-01-2007, 09:18 PM
on a road trip now but will all the refuge about spots

typically easy to get indivs but the group site can be hard to book

late season is easier so there is a chance still

alternative locations can make it happen as well

anyone want to help meister they would be welcome

JimW
08-02-2007, 06:19 AM
Looks like all the weekends are taken for site 9. Well this weekend 4th 5th is open but that would be more of a boneclave firedrill and might be a bit early for hardtails.
FWIW - in my experience the group sites are the last to go because there is special criteria for reserving them, anyone can reserve the individual sites but they are limited to one family of not more than 4 persons.

There's always during the week and the fishing is always better during the week:) I just don't see a decent turnout.

mikez
08-02-2007, 07:38 AM
I'd be up for attending provided someone can fit me in a boat.
The RI venue is more foot friendly but if the season shapes up like last year, it wouldn't be worth it.
Crowds in RI is another deterent.

juro
08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I have an idea...

Sippewisset Campground, just north of Woods Hole on lower Buzzards Bay / West end near Falmouth and salt ponds, ferry to Islands etc - tents spots galore and cabins that sleep up to 8 for $500/week split == peanuts.

When: after Labor Day weekend. (Sept 7th-9th)

Actually even later is fine in that area for lots of action of all sorts but that should be prime hardtail time.

Google Sippewisset Campground.

Anyone in?

juro
08-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Distance to island ferry terminals for foot soldiers on the hardtail hunt...
3 miles and 6 miles

Availability for that time is good now, but we should decide within the next few days to hold the cabins.

Public landings nearby, not sure about mooring arrangements to avoid pulling daily for boat owners.

This area is amenable to shore fishing with proximity to West End Canal, Buzzards Bay, Woods Hole, Falmouth ponds, close enough to South Cape Beach / Wacky inlet, Eel Pond, Wianno, Cotuit, Poppy, etc.

GregD
08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear we didn't get the group site again at Washburn this year. It won't be the same being at a different area that's for sure. But if the group can't get spots on the Washburn Island I would think Sippewisset Campground would be a good alternative. It will certainly be easier to get gear, food and everything else to the camp site than Washburn Island. It would be nice to have the boats just of the site as opposed to on a trailer or moored off in the distance.

I'm wondering how many people might want to go this year and when?

Do we have any dates in mind that look good?

If not many are going I might try for a small site on Washburn again this year.

Greg.

Smcdermott
08-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately you will have to count me out this year. New role at work is forcing me to keep my vacation schedule a little more flexible during the fall this year.

Sean

mikez
08-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I'd still be interested in attending at either camp site. I like Washburn, never been to the other place. I don't know any of the shore areas available near Sippewisset other than the canal and south cape beach, neither of which strike me as high odds locations for bones/albies. I know nothing about the other spots mentioned.
Access to spots providing reasonable chances for hardtails would be deciding factor for me. That or a spot on a boat.
My concern is that the dates mentioned are the prime weekends for albie fishing in RI. I have more faith in my ability to find 'em from shore there so I'd be reluctanct to give up that weekend unless odds were pretty good of finding them on the cape.
Doesn't seem like a ton of interest so maybe a moot point.

GregD
08-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi Mike,

I have to agree with your thoughts on going to the cape when there is a good chance of hitting the hardtails. It's tough to predict how good it will be, it varies every year. It does appear that there is not too much interest in the Boneclave this year so far. If I am the only boater and I have my sons along that leaves no room on the Sea Ox to fish out of, But it could ferry you to some good shore spots. Not sure if I'll be taking a larger boat or not this year, motors aren't ready yet.

If we do get a couple boaters interested I'm for a site on Washburn Island.
What weekend sounds good to try for those Hardtails, any thoughts there?

Greg.

Lefty
08-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Did someone say Boneclave?
Since the BC got moved to my anniversary weekend I've been unable to attend. So I'm up for these Sep. possibilities. How about post-Labor day motels with boat ramps nearby? (like yous guys do for the Spring Clave). Sakonnet? Westport? Wianno?

Lefty

Lefty
08-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Another possiblity, for those who really love Washburn: I seem to remember one year we took a Sun-Tue booking. There are 2 such stretches available for site 9: Sep 16-17 and Sep 23-25. Just a thought.

Warren
08-09-2007, 03:56 PM
With enough notice I can go midweek. I would like to attend such a meet.

mikez
08-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey Lefty! Glad to see you're still lurking out there. Been getting any of those big stripahs on the nort shaaw?

I'd be up for weekdays with some notice.
I like the later dates. By then I'll know how the RI albie run is shaping up. Either I will have caught enough to be willing to explore new water [a normal season] - or I'll be discouraged enough to give the heck up and look for greener pastures [last season].:roll:

juro
08-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Thats a great idea Terry - even a Sun-Mon retreat would be a spectacular fall fling and the timing for albies should be spot-on.

GregD
08-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Good Idea for getting the group site and some quieter weekday fishing in.

I too like the idea of going to Washburn Sunday into a weekday or two.
My preference is for the 23-25th, hope that works out for everyone.

Greg.

Lefty
08-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I like the later date too. Anyone else for Sun-Tues Sep 23-25?

Leftery

Warren
08-10-2007, 05:32 AM
I'll have to sit that one out then, I just remembered I will be out of town that week on a bow hunting trip. One cannot do everything:mad:

JimW
08-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm interested buy rather undependable. If the tuna are in my backyard, that's where I'll be.

Lefty
08-10-2007, 12:02 PM
But Jim, the laughs..the the comraderie.....the the ....laughs (ok maybe a few schoolies and blues out on succy shoals). Way more fun than watching a SBFT sream line off the reel! :smokin:

JimW
08-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Lefty, you've talked me into it. With a whole lot of luck I'll hit a Tuna Saturday before the trip - something in the 60lb range like Grego caught should provide adequate sushi for all.
Hey, the group site is available. I'm there!!

Site is reserved for night of 23rd and 24th $60 total, split it up among those to attend. Figured I'd plug it in, I can always cancel it if thing change.

I nominate Lefty as official clave meister, do we have a second?

FredA
08-10-2007, 04:30 PM
I'll second. I'm going to try to make this even if it's just for Sunday and Monday.

Lefty
08-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Good move Jim. I'm in. Let's see if we can get a crew. I will be AWK for a while so don't take my absence in this thread as anything. I'll get back to ya.

Lefty

juro
08-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Damn - I am out of town those dates... but will be there in mind though not in body.

jfbasser
08-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Sounds good to me

GregD
08-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks Jim for getting the site, Josh and I can't wait to go. I'll make sure you get reimbursed for our share. I like the sound of Sushi or Tuna steaks, they have always been very tasty.

I hope Lefty for can fill in as Clave miester...

Looking forward to seeing you guys down there again. Hopefully will have a good shot at the hardtails this year.

Greg.

shadfreak
08-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm in for Sunday but I think that I have a soccer game to coach on Monday afternoon. Hopefully they will make it a night game so that I can at least get the morning bite.
Larry

vtloon
08-13-2007, 01:31 PM
These dates look good for me. Don't know the venue: do you have to get there by boat; would a 16ft Lund be ok given reasonable weather?

JimW
08-13-2007, 01:47 PM
16' Lund will work fine. You're probably not going to be running across to the Vineyard in it and if the seas kick up even a larger vessel can be tough to fish from. Getting to and from the island - no problem as this is a fairly well protected area.

Fishing around the jetty and out off the first rip - use your judgment but shouldn't be a problem. I've run all over the sound before just to find fish right at the front door. There have been times when the albies run into the bay itself.
Bass can be had in the morning in and around the jetties and if your up for it drifting the breachway at night can be exciting.

Bigcat
08-13-2007, 07:24 PM
I hope I can get at least one day in?:D

Quentin
08-13-2007, 08:53 PM
I've missed the last two Boneclaves. Gonna try to make this one :cool: . The Sun/Mon/Tue plan sounds great to me. In prior years when I've attended, the Monday after the main event was always the best fishing day for me anyway. If nothing else, it will definitely cut down on some of the insanity at the entrance to the bay.

Q

juro
08-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Recent changes in schedule make it likely that my 100% streak will continue. Wow it's been 8 years since I dreamed up "Boneclave I" the year the forum began. I guess my enthusiasm has suffered a little this year... it's been a rough one, but thanks to Terry and Jim and the spirited response of members BONECLAVE LIVES!!!

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/froms101/journal.htm

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/froms101/clavepics/sunrise.jpg

juro
08-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Planning?

Generally since we all bring enough camp gear for ourselves the pooling effort makes it more than enough, but there are those common items that make the mess area work like tarps and tables.

I will bring the usual camp table as well as cooler, lantern, small gas grill, cutting board and knife, cooking & cleaning stuff also plastic utensils and paper plates. I volunteer for Sunday camp dinner duties as well.

Will bring water and peat water.

PopnesetBay
08-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Looks promising but time will tell.

Where on Washburn is site 9 located?

Can we "sticky" this thread so it will remain front and center for interested participants?

mikez
08-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Any boaters in need of a first mate?
I'm good at spotting fish, know the waters somewhat and can split the fuel cost.;)
I'm holding off on broaching the subject with the wife until I get an idea if I'm gonna be jetty bound. Although fish can be caught from the jetty and the antics of the boaters makes for entertaining distraction, it might not be worth provoking her wrath and squandering my few available Brownie Points.:rolleyes:

mikez
08-16-2007, 07:38 AM
My last post will make more sense when I reveal that that Sunday happens to be my wedding aniversery.
Normally just the good company alone would make the clave worth attending. Under the circumstances, with the perpetually precarious state of my relationship, I'm only willing to risk the consequences for a really good reason - like a chance to chase albies in Vinyard sound from a boat. Hey, I've got priorities!:lildevl:

juro
08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
I am not touching that one!!! :lildevl:

Hawkeye
08-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm in. Missed my first one last year. I just pray my bone clave boat curse is lifted.

GregD
08-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Hey Mike,

I'm not sure if I'll have the big boat with me, But If I can get my new meters and testers for the electronics (stator coil and switch packs) and get parts in time to get my motors straightened out, I'd be pleased to have you.

There would be plenty of room on it even with both my sons on it.

I'll keep you posted...

Greg.

mikez
08-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks Greg I appreciate the offer!

JimW
08-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Mike,
We'll have to see how things shake out with the boat to fishermen ratio but I'd be more than happy to have you onboard for a day. I should be solo this year having 2 slots open on my boat.

I'd like to get Terry out there for a day too, he's been doing these from the beginning.

GregD,
What's the big boat, that picture in your avatar? Get that thing working man, we'll need all the boats we can get.

Hawkeye - Let's hope the curse is lifted, glad you're going to make it.

I agree with Mike though, if there are not enough boats it's just not as much fun, sorta sux for the boat owners too if the ratio is way off.
The jetty is ok but if you're going to fish from shore, but there are better places to do it from. In a car you can jump around from spot to spot. If the fish are at the Jetty, why leave, if they're not, you can't leave.

It's nice to switch it up and fish with different people but it's good to have one day with a set crew if there's need to go run around the Vineyard or the Elizabeths islands to find funny fish.

Tom Dunlap - aka boneclave of one - where are you?

bonefishmon
08-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I am in if I can get time off from work. Would be great if I could fish from a boat. Only got a short afternoon shot last time. Basser got one inside with feet in the sand but it was a serious waiting game. The comradrie is worth it's wait in gold.

Phil

GregD
08-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Mike,

GregD,
What's the big boat, that picture in your avatar? Get that thing working man, we'll need all the boats we can get.

Hi Jim,

I'm workin on it... ;)

It just so happens it is the one in the Avatar :cool: , a 30 foot Wellcraft Scarab center console with twin 200hp Mercury Black Maxes. Just received my new Merc-o-tronic Volt/amp meter that can do 400V and get steady state voltage and amp readings off the pulses from the the stator coils. I should have the electronics debugged this weekend If I can get the voltage outputs and wiring diagrams from my Mercury Dealer. Stator coils are $300 each and the switch packs are $200 2 per motor. So depending on how many components are bad, I might not have enough cash to scoop all the parts right away... That hole in the water, where you throw your money thing :rolleyes:

But it should be good to go after that, I can't wait to get it back in the water.
Interesting how both motors exhibit the same symptoms within hours of each other, appears to be age related component failure.

I still have the Sea-ox for backup, But it's too small to take more than 3 people comfortably.

I have thought if the weather was nice and the water calm enough we could load the boats and shoot people over to the Vineyard to fish off the beaches there if there interested instead of the jetty. Not sure it would be any better depending on conditions, tough to tell the way they move around so.

Greg.

JimW
08-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Wow - that should move right along once you get the bugs out. Cool that you have the Ox too. If both stators went at the same time I'd be concerned that maybe you lost resistance somewhere. I don't know a lot about this but remember seeing something about it on thehulltruth. You may toast another pair if the resistor is not part of the stator.

GregD
08-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi Jim,

It did seem alittle suspicious that one went out and it's only runtime problem was stalling when you put it in gear otherwise it would run fine (#5 cylinder spark out, #4 intermittent). The other motor had a much more severe problem when it failed 3-4 days later (#4 $ #5 out #6 intermittent) and couldn't run properly or go beyond 3k rpm. No surprise running on on half it's cylinders, got me in from 20miles out at sea though :smile:

I'll chat about the resister to the stators with my Master mechanic, see what he thinks. If you have a link to the post please forward, at $300 a piece I'd like to replace them one time only :wink:

Thanks,
Greg.

FishHawk
08-17-2007, 07:33 PM
There is a campground on the Vineyard . I checked it out and the rates are reasonable. They even have small cabins for about 120 a night. Now that would be a great Bone Clave. FishHawk

JimW
08-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Greg, It was a long time ago and I was just searching for something and remember something about resistors going and someone popping stators. The tech should be able to rule it out.

Fish hawk, I've been to that campground many times. You can get a taxi van to take you to the Edgartown and fish the lighthouse. There are so many opportunities over there but wheels make all the difference.

Lefty
08-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Hey All,

Just back from vacay with the family in Maine on a primo smally lake. Fished my butt off all week!
Looks like the clave is going to fly. Great cause I missed the last few due to anniversary conflicts. You guys hardly need an organizer but I am glad to make sure we don't end up with 18 grills and no homegrown tomatoes. I'll start a gear thread shortly. Looking forward to it.

Lefty

juro
08-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Look what you guys started! Over 1000 views on this thread

Well let me know what you need me to bring. I will bring my seared bluefish recipe in case we don't have reason to break out the wasabi.

GregD
08-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Greg, It was a long time ago and I was just searching for something and remember something about resistors going and someone popping stators. The tech should be able to rule it out.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the heads up on the possibility, I'll ask today when I chat with him...

Greg.

ssully
08-24-2007, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=juro]Wow it's been 8 years since I dreamed up "Boneclave I" the year the forum began. BONECLAVE LIVES!!!

Hey Juro,

Maybe I'm getting senile, but I remember the 1999 Boneclave and camping on Washburn Island starting with Mark Cahill on BBS5. Sigh, good olí BBS5.... damn I miss the day when fishing posts weren't supposed to be politically correct.

Tight lines.

juro
08-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Senility is a bit harsh, but let's keep the facts straight.

Indeed I organized the event on reel-time; the Forum was not released until just after Boneclave. But I wonder if you recall who's idea it was, who's check reserved the group site, meistered the event, coordinated rides & attendees and coined the name "Boneclave"?

My requests for an information page and sign up sheet to the r/t staff were denied so I built one on another server and provided a link to these pages, do you recall the logo I designed for that info page?

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/froms101/bonelogo-sm.jpg

Actually I'm really glad they wouldn't help out because it was one of the things that urged me to build the Forum. It allowed me to continue these new traditions through the years.

They did provide little r/t flags for people's antennas FWIW :lildevl:

ssully
08-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Point taken. Guess I'll have to check the BBS5 archives for confirmation on that.

Sorry but I'm pretty cranky knowing I'm going to miss a Boneclave.

GregD
08-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey Sully,

I too will be starting a new job in September. I plan on telling them that I put money down and had the trip planned months ago and I'm going. Perhaps it would work for you too. I'm sure the new place can spare me for a couple days. I can imagine how you feel, it's certainly one of my favorite trips of the year. I hate to miss it.

Good luck with the new Job.

Greg.

juro
08-25-2007, 10:35 PM
No need sully, I may very well have selective memory on it as well who knows. They say memory is the second thing that goes and I can't remember the first ;)

One thing is certain without your breakfast it won't be the same.