Lucaya DIY [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lucaya DIY

flyinsalt
07-26-2007, 06:22 PM
I am taking my wife to Grand Bahama for a few days next month. I won't have time to hire a guide and have promised to spend the time with her, but I will be taking a fly rod. We are staying in Lucaya and I want to get out to the beach at dawn to try and catch something before the crowds arrive. Species of fish is not important, just want to give it a try. Anyone ever done this before or have suggestions for fishing within walking distance of the resorts there?

nmbrowncom
07-29-2007, 07:02 AM
plenty of great fishing but no DIY in the area of the resorts. there are plenty of decent and lousy guides in the area. perry demeritte fishes the east end and is the best in my view. the pinder brothers are great and on the west end close to the resort areas. the north end is even closer but not a pretty area (industrial). lots of the resorts will find you a guide and most will fish the north side. bonefish sam (taylor) who is a hotel security guard has friends in the resorts and they often place their guests with him. not in the same category as the pinders or demeritte. basically a moonlighter with limited skills and a crappy boat. good luck.

jfbasser
07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
If you are at the Sheraton or Westin properties in the very early am you can fish to the right of the Sheraton. Not a prime bonefish spot but small flies should get you a few bites of jacks, etc