Smilin for Small-mouth in the Millers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Smilin for Small-mouth in the Millers

shadfreak
07-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Yesterday (Tuesday) I fished a small stretch of the Millers River in Erving from 10am to 2 pm. I started off with a small Dalberg diver in yellow, which is a generally perfect fly for the Small-mouths in this stretch. Nada, not even a look. I worked toward the head of the pool working the fly slow, fast, still, twitchy, and nothing doing. When I got to the top of the pool I put on a small Clouser that I tied for Trout fishing and hallelujah
I enter Small-mouth heaven with hits almost every cast for the next hour. I also picked up one fourteen-inch Rainbow.
It gets better. When this flurry of fishing tapers off I change up to a nymph rig with two bead heads about size 10. Small-mouth heaven starts all over again and for the next forty minutes its fish after fish and two more Rainbows thrown in for good measure. Final tally a horde of Small-mouths, three Rainbows, one Sunfish, and a very content fisherman.
:D

Quentin
07-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Awesome! Smallies make me smile too :D . Even the little jumpin' jacks that don't stay in the water long enough for you to set the hook before they toss the fly!

Q