Mid-Summer Snook Fishing, St. Lucie Inlet 7/12-7/14 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Mid-Summer Snook Fishing, St. Lucie Inlet 7/12-7/14

FLStan
07-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Did the seasonal, late night, snook fly gig in the St. Lucie Inlet for the first time this year and was not disappointed. A bunch of snook (30+) were caught over the span of two very late nights with the overwhelming majority caught by my bud, Mike, when I did get my bites it seems like I was snake bit as I had a couple of missed hits with "big mama" having her way with me on my 10/11w GL3 Mega! I persisted, changing boat positions and flies until I finally started zeroing in on the flies that the snook liked that I tied and was rewarded with a nice one on my 9w which took me into my backing with the drag cranked down.

We tried doing the fly thing for tarpon on Friday morning at daybreak but the intel we had didn't reveal fish in high enough concentrations to make them a viable target on the fly. We fished the beach, just north of the inlet but according to the reports we didn't go far enough North...

Some good news to those who haven't been down there yet, the water clarity & quality is the best I've seen in years (the river had problems with farm run-off out of Okechobee). Off the north jetty you can clearly see the bottom in about 10 feet of water.

I know it appear as if we were down there for three days but we only fished two late nights into the wee hours of the morning. Already looking forward to doing it again, picking up some new fly tying material that I was low on.

I'm heading back down this weekend, this time, with the wife. No late, dawn patrol on this trip but we do plan on doing the near shore kingfish gig. Hopefully, we'll stumble across some tarpon or maybe some of those Cobes.

Below are two of the snook Mike and I caught...

Stan

juro
07-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm in Ft.Myers now... how far is it?

petevicar
07-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Hi Stan
Those are absolutely fantastic fish.

Congratulations!!!!!!

What flies did you use and what strenght leader?

Pete

nmbrowncom
07-19-2007, 05:10 PM
juro, too far (4-5hrs) especially if you can only serenade them.

FLStan
07-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Sorry I'm late getting back to you guys, I was out of the country on business and another weekend trip before that (bonitos and kings with the wife). We were fishing large 4-5" bendbacks chartreuse over white. For leader it's usually straight 40 or 60lb Flouro since we are using intermediate or sinking depending on the strength of the flow.

Stan