Dog days and spey rods [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Dog days and spey rods

juro
07-13-2007, 07:36 PM
It looks like I will finally get some time to show some respect for the humbling mid-summer summer steelhead next month. I have a business trip in Seattle that includes a weekend and other than a hot dog and beer at Safeco one night I know where my feet will be - a rocky shoreline somewhere facing pools with good aeration and the security of shade where a fly will swing at the right speed for me.

Either that or a coho jaunt in the saltchuck... decisions decisions

wrke
07-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Ditto. In two weeks a 3 day float on the lower Deschutes . . . wife with Spey for first time. Big change from her 4 wt and spring creeks. Good luck.

juro
07-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I will be in Seattle, catching a game at Safeco then heading straight for a national park somewhere by a jewel-clear stream or to wake up the manager of a remote motel where the crickets are so loud they might keep an anxious angler awake.

Bill we need to do such a PNW salmonid tour together one of these days! Hook up with Eric Bigler on the 'chutes perhaps, and hit the Cascades and OP with many of the PNW hardcores who frequent this site.

On a related note and since it's July - have you ever done the saltchuck coho salmon thing yet?

Doublespey
07-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey Juro,

Any idea what days?

Our lady to the South is heading up, so you could hit it just right~ :)

later,

Brian

wrke
07-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Bill we need to do such a PNW salmonid tour together one of these days! Hook up with Eric Bigler on the 'chutes perhaps, and hit the Cascades and OP with many of the PNW hardcores who frequent this site.

On a related note and since it's July - have you ever done the saltchuck coho salmon thing yet?

You bet, would love to. I don't get there often enough and my PNW experiences are limited — I consider the NUmpqua to be my "home" river (for 30 years). This will be my first steelhead experience on the Deschutes, although I've fished it 2X during the salmonfly hatch. I'd love the chance to tour the rivers I've read about over the years. It's just finding the time.

Not yet . . .

andre
07-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Juro,

Salt and the river with the dams yet to be removed!

Lencho, you have a kicker in case I haven't bought on yet?

Looks like Susan and the kids will be out of town.

juro
07-22-2007, 12:16 PM
I am PSYCHED

Head over Friday PM? Will contact offline.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Doublespey
07-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Hey Andre - when are we talking? My kicker's in the shop and due to be back sometime next week.

Email me . . . .what did you get?

andre
07-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Brian, I'll try and give you a call tomorrow.

J, We are talking week after next correct?

juro
07-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Sent a PM -

PSYCHED!!!

wrke
08-01-2007, 12:07 AM
got back from the Deschutes yesterday after three lovely days floating the lower river. Wonderful time with John Judy and his crew. I had only three fish, all native hens and my wife also got a lovely native hen. It was her first experience with a rod heavier than her 4 wt spring creek rod in a river with a current that would have easily carried her away(she weighs less than 100 lbs dripping wet). And she caught her first steelhead ever, the first time she's ever used a spey rod. She did great. Tired, but all smiles.
Bill