sick and tired from mosquitoes [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: sick and tired from mosquitoes

alan.watson59
07-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi friends, I am sick and tired from the pond nearby our home, however it has some good fishes, and good for fishing but this is also the source of mosquito factory, Now I want to know what fish will kill the spawn of satan.. mosquitoes.. I dont want to buy those fancy co2 traps that kill them... Do goldfish or koi eat them? do the fish that do eat at the pet store?

Warren
07-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Welcome to the forum Mr. Watson

Good question. I don not know of any fish that will eradicate the little pests.
I am inclined to believe Mother Nature has won this battle before it has even begun. All us humans can do is temporarily displace the little buggers. And only marginally at that.

Having said all that, those propane thingys you mention are supposed to work real well from what I hear. I have not had reason to buy one so I cannot comment on their effectiveness.

Warren
07-14-2007, 07:13 AM
A second thought Mr Watson.

Are you thinking of introducing a fish to a pond?

Is the pond your property?

If not, I would not advise such things. Other fish species, especially exotics can destroy the balance, overtake the pond & kill off the fish seek to catch for sport.
In most places in the US it is illegal to introduce fish. I do not know about London though.
Although I have respect for the law and would not willingly do such a thing, My fellow anglers are the one who I would fear the most for screwing up the pond.
:tsk_tsk:

Just food for thought. Here in the US we have a hooded mesh pullover bug shirt called a Bug Baffler. They are the best medicine for nasty mosquito's I have found yet