GBI vs. Abaco [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: GBI vs. Abaco

JTWG
07-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Hey guys, after reading every book about bonefishing out there plus literally every article i could find on the web, my trip to GBI around June 1 was a total bust with tropical storm barry, or whatever its name was, blowing us out for two days (that's all the time i had). Just started a new job and have been swamped so i haven't had time for a trip report but one will be coming. (believe it or not, i learned a few things to share).

Needless to say, even though i didn't land any fish, i hooked one and now consider myself addicted. i'm already starting to mentally prepare for my next trip.

my question is, how does grand bahamas compare to abaco? bigger fish? smaller fish but more numbers? less spooky (or educated as they say in florida).

any thoughts? keep the bonefish pics coming as i'm living vicariously through them for the summer.

juro
07-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I like Acklins, much further away from fronts and less likely to get blown out.

Do a search for a taste of our trips there over the years.

petevicar
07-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Hi JT

The weather this year has been bad for all my bonefish trips. I have made 3 so far.

I have a trip planned for Alphonse Island in November and I am off to Cuba in December, I hope it will be better then.

I have fished a number of different places on Grand Bahama. It suffers from fishing pressure as it is very easy to get to.

Fishing in the Bahamas is always better at more remote places.

Having said that my trip to Acklins this year was blown out by the weather.

Pete

nmbrowncom
07-15-2007, 08:36 AM
i've been going to gbi for the past 4 years. while it is often windy, this year was the most so, but we never missed a day and cought fish on each outing both wading and from the boat. i'd have to credit the guides though- they are quite adept at positioning the boat and getting into the lee when possible. i stay away from the west end and the north end to avoid both the pressure and the plethora of pathetic guides who primarily "guide" day tripping resort tourists from lucaya..

JTWG
07-15-2007, 12:59 PM
i think the fishing would have been fine had the weather been ok. I hooked about an 8 lbs fish, but he headed straight to the mangroves and broke off. I guess maybe i have a bad taste for GBI. I'm just not sure. I may try abaco next. I like places that are fairly easy to get too as, like many, time is sacred to me.

Pete, I'd love to hit Cuba, but my government thinks its a bad idea.