Kenai Peninsula Fly Fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Kenai Peninsula Fly Fishing

Danny Boy
07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Hello hello ~ I just joined this forum and am wondering how many Alaskans are out and about and more specifically, do any of you fellow fly fishermen and women make haste for Alaska to fish our beautiful waters???

Warren
07-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Hello Danny Boy,
I have no Alaskan experience, but thought I would say Hi and welcome to the forum. I live in New Hampshire & primarily fish for Stripers, trout, bass and Land lock salmon in the spring

Eric
07-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Well, welcome Danny. Unlike Warren, I have some serious Alaska experience, but don't live there (wish I did, for months of August - October at least). Only really know the northern most Hawaiian Island (aka Kodiak), but also have fished some in SE.

Again, welcome, and cheers,

Eric

PS: there are Alaska flyfishers on this Forum

Danny Boy
07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Thank you for the kind welcome to the forum. New Hampshire ~ talk about opposite corners! I grew up in South Hersey and moved to Alaska when I was nine; I've never fished stripers but would love to do so. Do you find some decent trout in your neck of the woods, Warren?

Eric ~ if you've fished Kodiak I would imagine you were on the Karluk. I've yet to fish it but know it houses some bruiser steelhead. I spend most of my time on the Upper and Middle Kenai and you're right: August - October are pretty stellar months here. But, November can be pretty awesome if the weather permits and last December my buddy caught a rainbow I'd estimate at 13-15 pounds. Sounds like a fish story, but I have pictures. :smile: What part of the Pacific Northwest do you call home? What's the good word with the fishing in Hawaii? Fly-fishing or traditional gear... inshore or offshore? One of these days I'd like to investigate that neck of the woods.

Warren
07-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Danny Boy,

There are some decent trout if you know where to look. Much of the forest has been cut and the water temp can get kind of high for good trout fishing. There are exceptions such as the upper Connecticut river. The power dams make a good tail water fishery. I have landed some twenty inch Bows in the past and some 18 inch Brookies. Over on by Maine they tell me it is good. I am going there next summer.

Eric
07-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Hey, Danny Boy,

I was just kidding about Hawaii. Two friends of mine who live on Kodiak (taught school there for many years and are now into guiding), joking refer to "The Rock" as the "Northernmost Hawaiian Island." I know nothing about Hawaii other than the omo-omo-umo-umo-apuah go swimming by there someplace.

Re the Karluk: Yeah I fished it. Once. Would never go back. Way too crowded and the steelhead (there were plenty) didn't respond to a swung fly. The bears bothered us a lot (no attacks or even threatening behavior--it was just that their presence was constant and distracting).

Strongly prefer the road system for Silvers in September and early October. Can't wait for our annual trip.

Cheers,

Eric

rfox22
07-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Hello Danny and fellow fly fishers. Fishing the Kenai for rainbows in late season is pretty awesome...and once you have done it, you will shun most other fisheries. These rainbows and dollies are some of the biggest in the world. I have photos, but can never get them to upload (any suggestions appreciated).

Robert Fox
robertfox@alaska.com