07-08-2007, 09:13 PM
http://members.cox.net/seanmcdermott/Steve%20Tuna%20004%20(Medium).jpg

mikez
07-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Good work!:smokin:

Adrian
07-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Congratulations Steve:smokin:

Nice work Sean - you have those hardtails 'dialed in' this season!

FishHawk
07-09-2007, 05:32 AM
Good work Steve you have a good guide to put you on the fish. FishHawk

Nick
07-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Slinger,

How are you going to mount that to the back of the boat? I have no doubt it's enough get up and go, but I don't think the mounting holes are the same? :)

Sean,

All I can say is sweet man. Nice work.

Warren
07-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Look at the smile on that dudes face!......It says it all. Good on you Steve.

RayStachelek
07-09-2007, 07:08 AM
We are never going to hear the end of this ever from Steve. :hihi:

jfbasser
07-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Steve called me last night from his car about the catch....he was in rare form :hihi: He claimed the ride home in the boat was a bit wet and his boots were full of water...I asked if they still had water in them and he said "Yes"...I told him to pull over to the side of the road and empty them out...He said "Good Idea":D

bonefishmon
07-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Awesome catch Steve! How about a report? Sean's the man!

Phil

Dble Haul
07-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Well, I suppose that's one way to keep your mind off of boat troubles. :cool:

Slinger
07-09-2007, 08:17 AM
I just typed out a long reply and it went away into hyperspace, I`m not gonna type all that again! So here`s the short version. Incredible fish, I`ve never seen anything so strong, thought it was gonna kill me! Weight chart puts it at 49.68 lbs. Sean got one 2 in bigger, on a fly and beat it in half the time, damn showoff! 32 mi. ride back in 4-5`s with 25+ wind was no fun! Left at 2, got back home at 9, 19 hours, I`m gettin too old for this stuff. Wanna go again tomorrow? The pics of Sean are on my camera and the pics of me are on his, seems backwards.
Slinger

juro
07-09-2007, 10:33 AM
unFreakinReal!!!

flydoc
07-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Look tasty....did they end up back in the water or on the dinner plate back home?
Flydoc

Reef Runner
07-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Slinger - Nice job, Sweet!! - Reef Runner

sean
07-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Nice! Sean what are trying to do, kill him :)

-sean

Slinger
07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
I don`t like fish. Only keep a occasional fish for the rest of the family. But Bluefin are another story. Ever since I tried the steaks the Estey`s brought to one of the Rhoddy clavs I`ll take all I can get! Wish I had that recipe. Sean dosen`t keep any, thats why we were both stumbling round like a pair of bumpkins when it came to handeling the fish after he`s caught!
Slinger

mikez
07-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Oh yah, I remember that meal! We had it smoked as well as grilled. Quite a treat!

How was the action out there? Any sign of letting up? I ve seen guys say they're starting to thin out.
How long does it last anyway?

sean
07-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Usually the action is not as good as it has been this early from most everyone I have talked to. Guys do catch bluefin in cc bay all the way into november if you can handle the cold. For Sean to get 2 with me , 2 with Jimmy, and 2 with Slinger is pretty damn good fishing.

Seems september is historically one of the best months for them so it should only get better, not worse. Couple years ago I went out with Jim Whalen in late september/early october and there were tons of fish around.

Sean is the tuna angel still working? :)

-sean

doogue
07-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Congrats to both of you. And many thanks for sharing photos.

Those are some truly amazing fish!

striblue
07-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Just saw this post and I can only express what Doogue has said... great pics and fish and the pics show what fun it is..... I expect to see some new type flies from Steve to hunt these fish in the future.

Smcdermott
07-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Sorry for the late reply and the quick post. I headed back out yesterday and was in a rush to get the pic up for Steve and get the boat and gear ready.

It was a great day and truely awesome to see Steve get his first tuna. Steve was on the boat with me 3 seasons ago when I got my first in RI. He hooked two that day but both came off during the fight. Steve and I haven't fished for tuna since that day. Sunday rolled around and I put on the same t-shirt and shorts loaded the boat and met Steve at the ramp. We found a few fussy fish to start the day but motored on for greener pastures. It took a while but we found the fish and saw some of the most ferocious feeds I have seen to date. Smaller pods but huge eruptions and spraying bait signaled game on. We wasted some time throwing plugs as these fish seemed to run from them more than attack. We switched it up and went small and the first good shot we had resulted in Steve's fish. Steve did a great job to put me on them on fly and we soon realized after the fight that the weather had taken a turn for the worse and we had a long ride home. 3 hours later back at the ramp it started to downpour as we hacked away at fileting the fish on the dock. Steve who normally hates rough water had a $%^T eating grin on his face the whole way home. :smile:

Great day with a great guy.

Sean, we switched it up a bit and my fish ate a Boylermaker with peacock angel hair on top. Yesterday they took the same as well as some mushies. My guess is the angel would still be killing them but the ones I tied were fouling a bit and there is just no room for that in this game. I think the bucktail I used on top was too soft.

Sean