My father told me there would be days like this [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: My father told me there would be days like this

Warren
07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
I have been excited all week about today, My friend & I were going out for Tuna. It was to be my first Tuna trip, Ever. It started yesterday when he called & said his GPS / chart plotter unit was down & did not want to head for the open ocean without all his equipment in order. I agreed. Damn! the weather forecast was perfect for once, calm seas & no wind for the first time this year.

It was decided we would go over to Merrimack river & fish in close to shore and up in the flats etc... at least salvage the day. Weather was perfect, overcast, light breeze flat water. I should have turned around & went home then.

We launched his boat 23' Silverhawk with a Mercruiser outdrive thingy. I dumped him in at the Salisbury Launch & went to park the truck. He motored around while I did that and came in to the dock & I jumped aboard. Maybe five mins tops. We headed out for the channel and didn't even make it the the Green # 15 can. warning alarm went off.... Overheating..... &^%#@. Tide was slack & the light wind was blowing us ever so slowly back to the launch. We let things cool down & stated the motor twice to get us back to the launch. We determined that we had a some kind of pump problem. He was going to take it to the marine repair place Monday.

I called Wifey & told her I was gonna heading home. & I would go trout fishing today instead. I got home at 9 am to find out the washing machine has died. WTF?:mad: Had a look at that & it was Terminal.
Packed up my fishing gear & went to Lowe's to find a new washer.

For some reason I have a massive headache.

Did anyone catch any fish this weekend? Please post a pic or a story & cheer me up

Oh did I mention that My Casting arm elbow is all puffed up from a fall in the Connecticut River the week before last?:eek:

zimflo.
07-08-2007, 06:18 PM
nice, I thought it was going to be a "happy" ending lol..

capeflydoc
07-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Warren,
Hope this cheers you up. 60 lb bluefin tuna on 12 wt, 20 lb tippet.
Ed:)
Capeflydoc

mikez
07-08-2007, 08:02 PM
I feel your pain Warren! Well, either that or all the vollyball is catching up to me.:chuckle:
Actually, I do have a good story to cheer you up. At least it made me pretty happy.

I too have been daydreaming about the tuna. In particular, I have been day deaming about getting one on a fly. Lots of people have been getting tuna, but only certain fishermen have what it takes to get one to eat a fly, and land it.
So Friday night the call came from one of those fishermen. My chance had come at last! Only one small problem; I'm on call for work and the other guys who might take my shift are away on vacation!:mad: Curses!!! Although I was briefly tempted to quit my job on the spot, common sense prevailed.
Needless to say, I was depressed.
Things took a turn for the better this afternoon however when I recieved an invite to do some pike fishing on a nearby river [close enough to get to work for an alarm if I had to]. Before tuna wishin took over my daydreams, I had been wanting to get a pike on a fly for weeks now.
Anyway, so as not to cross contaminate the forum topics, I'll post the result of the trip on the warm water forum once I get pics uploaded. Sufice it to say, I really don't mind missing the tuna trip after all.;)
Oh ya, plus I fielded two alarm calls for a total of 4 hours overtime for maybe 1/2 hour's worth of work.:cool:

Warren
07-09-2007, 04:56 AM
I'm Cheering up.....I'm Cheering up:D

Nice Fish CFD:D I see in another post Sean McD Put Slinger on a good'un too. Nice Job Men.
At least if I cannot get out myself, I can atleast live vicariously through others. Thanks guys

Next time it will all come together I am sure. there is still a few months to go

Slinger
07-09-2007, 08:26 AM
If you didn`t live so damn far away we would have you all straightened out!
Slinger

Warren
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Double post error

Warren
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
If you didn`t live so damn far away we would have you all straightened out!
Slinger

I am beyond straightening out Steve:lildevl: Believe me I would move to the coast in a heart beat if I could make it all come together. Right now I will just have to dream and drive three hours:roll:

News on my sore elbow......My casting elbow is Toast. Went to see Doc today, I have some kind of Brucitis (sp?) and possible infection from my fall in the river two weeks ago. I think I aggravated it at work. I have to see a surgeon Wednesday for a consultation and evaluation. Lets hope the Antibiotics & the anti inflammatory do their thing and I don't need to be cut open

Looks like I may be on the sidelines at least for a week or two......Bummer

flydoc
07-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Warren- best of luck with the elbow bursitis- sorry you weren't down here when it first started; I would have had you all patched up by now;)
Hope to see you back on the flatz soon.
Flydoc
P.S.- I still owe you an ice cream- my treat next time!

zimflo.
07-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Cast lefty man, never to late to learn I write lefty and cast right handed so.. anythings possible I guess.:cool:

Warren
07-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Elbow update,
The surgeon had a look at my elbow today, sucked out what little fluid was left in there and told me to take it easy (yeah right I am a welder, there is nothing easy). Looks like the drug treatment & light duty will have me back on the flats Sunday the 22 Yeah baby!...... look out Capt'n Keith:hihi:

Until then, no chucking flies or swinging my favorite sledge hammer for me, I am on the mend:D

Flydoc I see you changed your signature.....Do I have a choice of No Fingers?....Unless of course it refers to single malt. In that case I'll take two....with a dab of Ice:D

flydoc
07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Warren- glad to hear you'll be back in action soon- see you the weekend of the 22nd. You may want to bring the two-hander; I've always found it a bit easier on the elbow than the one-hand 9 wt.
Afterwards, I'll treat you to two fingers...of Glenlivet, that is:hihi:
Flydoc

Warren
07-12-2007, 05:07 AM
Afterwards, I'll treat you to two fingers...of Glenlivet, that is:hihi:
Flydoc

Ahhh Just what the Dr ordered:D

Two hander it will be