Bayside, 7/8, am [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bayside, 7/8, am

FredA
07-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Arrived 2.5 hours into the drop. Finger bars emanating from the trophy houses just emerging. Made my way out and spoted decent fish in the trough. Cast to a few then cast to swirls. Then a big tail is sticking up over a gravel bar. Several long casts and I got bit. Saw lots of backing and figured no way will I land this fish. Landed and taped at 38"+. Got the knife out but decided to try to revive. Fish was pretty spent but after 5 to 10 minutes she bit down on my thumb and the started coming to life. Swam off in good shape. Continued catching 20" schoolies and packed it in early, fully sated. Ideal, fishy morning.

BigDave
07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Sounds like a great AM session!

jfbasser
07-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Nice one Fred...guess the nailknot held this time :cool:

jimS
07-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Fred, congrats on a fine fish! Haven't made it your UDL this year, but guess I should have. See you next month.

Dble Haul
07-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Nice fish. What fly did she eat?

n1gdo
07-06-2007, 01:07 PM
I haven't had any time for fishing this season.... so I live vicariously through these reports...

Hope all is well with my old Acklins friends...

Dble Haul
07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Also Fred, did you catch this fish in the future? :lildevl:

bonefishmon
07-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Sounds like the morning you spent dreaming about all winter. Awesome job Fred.

Phil

Nick
07-06-2007, 02:33 PM
He's lying :) He's predicting the future happenings on 7/8!

FredA
07-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Maybe Juro can edit that date for me.

It's been a one fly vacation, tan to lavender to smoke deep eel.

Went back at about noon with the wife, son and son's girlfriend. Ran into striblu who politely made way for me to pass on the trail. He sheepishly apoligized for tresspassing on my domain without permission. Then he said something about telling that basser guy that he was going to reveal his pole numbers. Saw Juro so we should get some flood reports. In the am it was new england fishy, clouds and a bit of rain. At noon the flats were like the Bahamas.

Warren
07-06-2007, 05:05 PM
As we say up heya in New Hampsha That fish is a real Cocker, pronounced, cockah! Dunno what that means but that's what they say when sumpthin' is wicked good:smokin: :D

PEC54
07-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Ah there's nothing like a sizzling reel and yards of exposed backing to brighten a dull foggy overcast morning. I saw lots of stripes along sandy neck this morning on the ebbing and flooding tide but found no love:frown: .I did however see the largest cow in skinny water I have ever seen, easily in the mid 40 lb range if not more,she cruised by me about 50 ft away in 3 feet of water. I never bothered to cast as I looked down at my 1 in. shrimp fly, I snickered ya right. Another sighting was mature pogies swimming along the outer bars,with at least 100 if not more gannets soaring way up in the sky.

CSJ60
07-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey Fred,

Nice fish, way to go!

Hey PEC54...you never know.

FishHawk
07-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Nice fish Fred. Been away all week looks like the fish are still around. FishHawk

juro
07-09-2007, 11:36 AM
You're right Fred... a banner day from start to finish with lots (and lots) of backing in the water.

striblue
07-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Just got back from the Cape yesturday and had no internet for 12 dAYS. Had a good time with Juro, but North M was barren with the continious north wind...so I headed to Freds spot and figured I could get out of there and leave Juro without Fred knowing...but I was wrong.... Fred ,I was birding in the area.... Was suppose to do some Tuna fishing with a neigbor but his new boat konked out 24 miles out one day... had it serviced and it konked out the next day out with a rescue by the CG... a real mess. and some legal matters brewing I think...I was not with him but it's a 26 foot inboard...nice big boat.