Porkslice on the board for '07 in a big way... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Porkslice on the board for '07 in a big way...

Smcdermott
07-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Jimmy first joined me on Saturday when I got the urge to see if I could find the bluefin everyone was talking about. It was a great but frustrating day as we worked to locate and figure out the feeding patterns of these larger fish. He spent the majority of the day at the helm while I got to play sport and cast away. He informed me yesterday that he would be away the next two weekends and was worried the fish would move out and he would miss his shot at a 50+ pound fish.

We agreed to watch the weather and make the call at 2 a.m. this morning. Jimmy called me at 3 a.m. and I told him to get in the car cause it was game on. We rendezvoused at the ramp. We were in the water by 5:30 and Porkslice was on the board before the clock struck 7. I did learn that I need a better gaff as it was not sharp enough to penetrate the soft portion of the underside of the jaw and I ended up with a gill shot. We didn't plan on keeping a fish so we did attempt a release but unfortunately I don't think this one made it.

I was up next and we quickly found a "happy" pod and I was on. The new TFO Bluewater 14-17wt and Danielson 11/14 performed flawlessly. We had the fish boatside in 12 minutes. Unfortunately we could not get a good safe gaff shot the first time around and on my second attempt to lift the fish the terminal not broke on the loop section due to abrasion. No picture but a green fish swam away quickly to hopefully grow up and play with us another day!

The Porkslice hooked up:

http://members.cox.net/seanmcdermott/P7030021%20(Medium).JPG

and the catch:

http://members.cox.net/seanmcdermott/P7030024%20(Medium).JPG

TFO Bluewater 14-17wt in action:

http://members.cox.net/seanmcdermott/P7030026%20(Medium).JPG

Warren
07-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Sean you are on fire with the tunoids. Excellent reports & photos. Did you have to travel very far offshore today?

My Friend & I are tentatively planned for a Tuna trip Sunday, not sure where yet though. maybe Stellwagen , maybe Rhoddy. We shall see if the weather gods are on our side. They have not been too cooperative for me anyway this year so far.

fliboy
07-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Porkslice - awesome fish! Nice job!

Sean - thanks for the post.

Jim Miller
07-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey Sean
Great job! Nice size fish too!

We'll have to hook up and fish in Late July -August. I'm off starting Saturday, for two weeks, on a Bahamian vacation .... but when I'm back... I'll be trailering East for tunoids! Rhody or the Cape...

I'll have to pick your brain on that TFO bluewater.... I am considering the lighter model 10-13 wt. I have an older TFO 14 wt. and like it! :D

Keep the posts coming!

Dble Haul
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Good stuff as usual. :smokin:

Sean Juan
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Nice shoes!

Smcdermott
07-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Nice shoes!

Those go with my Morin series waders!

Seriously, step on your line a few times and ruin a cast to busting tuna and you wouldn't wear any either. I also consider it a safety thing. That line comes up off the deck in a hurry and if you don't realize you are standing in the middle of it it could cause a not so forgiving situation. I use a stripping basket to hold the line moving around but if I put a cast in the money zone the line goes straight to the floor so I can vary the retrieve as needed without worrying about laying it in the basket.

Jim,

Definitely look me up when you get back. Have a great trip.

Sean

jimS
07-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Sean, another winner! Glad to see Jimmie landed one.

Regarding your Xi2 12wt. They have an unconditional guarantee, and, if it were me, Ij'd send them an email with the forum attachments, similar to your approach to Abel. I think they would meet you more than half way on a replacement. You might feel them out by calling Repair/replacement, 800.533.3004, Maria Flesher or Melissa Graham.

I'm ordering a Rio Leviathan fly line for my Gulfstream this week. Choices are 500 grain floater, intermediate or sinktip. What's your recommendation?

Smcdermott
07-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Jim,

Can you get both intermediate and sink? If so I would.

If only one line I would probably say sinker. With that said we have been nailing all our fish on intermediate and floating lines. These fish seem to be feeding right on top. I don't think we ever had the right fly on with a sinking line though to make a comparison. I do think the sink loads the rod faster and shoots better when you need to make the quick long casts. I know people say this isn't a casting game but some of the schools we have been on have been very motor shy and the extra 20ft of spacing has helped us get shots at happy fish. Move in too close, spook one fish and they are gone. I have been putting my sink on the Riptide and can get about 300yds of 50lb braid with it. That should be plenty as you can motor after the fish. Load the gulfstream with the thicker lines and save the sink for a backup if the int. isn't getting it done.

Sean

jimS
07-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Sean, thanks for the sage advice. I've got the Gulfstream QC, so will order both the intermediate and the sinktip Rio Leviathan. Incidentally, its insane, but I got 450 yards of 65lb Suffix braid on the reels. I'm somewhat intrihgued about the TFO Bluewater. Currently my rod is a 12wt RPLXi. The TFO could be a backup, but maybe the "go to."

Thanks again, and I gotta say, you and your buds are the exception right now in getting BFT to eat on a fly. Good on you.

jfbasser
07-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Incidentally, its insane, but I got 450 yards of 65lb Suffix braid on the reels.

Good choice with that Suffix. I converted from PP a year ago. I have 50# on my Emblem Pro spinner, 65# on the VS 275 spinner, 80# on the Newell 229conventional, and 80# on the Abels.:smokin: good stuff

Smcdermott
07-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Sean, thanks for the sage advice. I've got the Gulfstream QC, so will order both the intermediate and the sinktip Rio Leviathan. Incidentally, its insane, but I got 450 yards of 65lb Suffix braid on the reels. I'm somewhat intrihgued about the TFO Bluewater. Currently my rod is a 12wt RPLXi. The TFO could be a backup, but maybe the "go to."

Thanks again, and I gotta say, you and your buds are the exception right now in getting BFT to eat on a fly. Good on you.

Jim,

The first two fish were on a 12wt Rplx which I believe is a little stiffer than the i. Fine for the newport and smaller fish but I really felt undergunned. That TFO for $250 is a casting cannon with a soft tip but has backbone and more.

While I appreciat the praise we are certainly not the only ones getting them on Fly. Sounds like Joe LeClair and a few others have them dialed in. Not to mention a few silent board members have been on them as well.

Sean

jfbasser
07-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Jim,

Sounds like Joe LeClair and a few others have them dialed in. Not to mention a few silent board members have been on them as well.

Sean

Watching them head thru the canal is about 10 hours faster than the internet:smokin: no Vineyard guides coming thru yet,,,the Striper fishing must be still good out there:D

BigDave
07-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Sean is that the TFO you are using in the picture? I know with my 12 those fish would snap it like a toothpick with that rod angle.

The 14-17 is probably the right tool for the job. Are you casting the 500gr sink on that setup? We have been fishing a 14 Xi2 which is great but it seems like you can't really be overgunned for these fish...and it's always good to have a backup around.

Heading back out this afternoon...

Smcdermott
07-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Dave,

Huge difference between that rod and the 12wt rplx I landed the first fish on. That thing feels like it could lift a house. With that said the shot shown here was at the end of the battle and I was probably a little over agressive in that position trying to get the fishes head turned. Funny how these pictures always show me doing something I tell myself and others not to. These fish will do that to you. :)

Sean