Time Piece - Late for work again [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Time Piece - Late for work again

Sean Juan
07-03-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm looking to buy some sort of timepiece that can be submerged quite a bit or at least survive being left in the tankwell of a kayak.

I'm not much for watches, but just wondering if anyone had any suggestions - something with an alarm setting would probably be a good idea too.

Dble Haul
07-03-2007, 04:21 PM
This is what I recently got from Orvis:

http://images.orvis.com/orvis_assets/prodimg/974CLG7VT.jpg

It's pricy, but good grief is it durable. I purchased the one with the black face and it's very good in the salt water.

Alas, it has no alarm, so you'd just have to grin and wear it like everyone else. :tongue:

Sean Juan
07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
That would totally wreck my image. First a watch and then whats next shoes, pants???? Where would it end???!!!

Hey should I fish the spot where we saw the monster tonight for the incomming or yak it to fish the outgoing at like 3am in pleasant bay???

Dble Haul
07-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Where we saw the monster, at sunset on the incoming, with a schoolie sized fly. :smokin:

(Another feature of the watch: it has a photo cell, so when there isn't enough ambient light the hands automatically glow so you can still read the time without a flashlight.)

juro
07-03-2007, 05:31 PM
that orvis watch looks practical and durable

I received a Victorinox Swiss Army watch over a decade ago as a gift. One battery change later it still keeps Swiss time and is indestructible in water or active sports. Waterproof to 330 ft which means I fell overboard and have already imploded.

http://www.moyerfinejewelers.com/assets/pics/watches/swissarmy/watch.jpg

Stainless frame and band in silver / white faced. Very simple but one of the truly faithful companions I've had for the last 15 years. Those I meet with the same watch are equally amazed with their luck.

I would recommend it to anyone.

Eddie
07-05-2007, 09:32 AM
You can't lose with a Timex ironman. Cheap, durable enough and you won't cry when you lose/dunk/scratch/drop/runover it. Has an alarm and all kinds of stop watch functions. It should last about two years (more or less).
I've had good luck for the last few years with a "FreeStyle" Tide watch. Around 75 bucks. I would get the brusshed bezel as the blk one will eventually get scratched up.
I used to have a Casio that was great (around a hundred). Compas, tides, barometer. I really liked that one too.
Plastic watches are disposable.

jamie
07-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I've been wearing a Seiko titanium for years now. Keeps good time and totally salt and water proof.

If you are looking for something to stick to the yak, visit a motorcycle outfitters and get one of those stick on waterproof clock faces, They are small as they are supposed to be stuck onto the centre of the speedo. Cheap too.

kmckiou
09-01-2007, 08:10 PM
You can't lose with a Timex ironman. Cheap, durable enough and you won't cry when you lose/dunk/scratch/drop/runover it. Has an alarm and all kinds of stop watch functions. It should last about two years (more or less).
I've had good luck for the last few years with a "FreeStyle" Tide watch. Around 75 bucks. I would get the brusshed bezel as the blk one will eventually get scratched up.
I used to have a Casio that was great (around a hundred). Compas, tides, barometer. I really liked that one too.
Plastic watches are disposable.

I'll tell you what. I'm about to wear out the third band for my Timex Ironman. This thing just won't quit. I have owned it at least 6 years and it is still waterproof and works perfectly.

geardaddy37
09-03-2007, 05:24 PM
YOu know what JOhn Cameron Swayzy said...take s a licking...etc.
Juro, glad to see you've made a full recovery from that accident! I imagine it's hard to live life inside out!! (:
Bill