Jeez my arm is sore... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Jeez my arm is sore...

Slinger
07-02-2007, 11:29 PM
...must be from all the twisting trying to get back on the water! Here`s the story. Cooked the motor on CantAnchorUs a week ago, estemated repairs, 4 maybe 5 grand, and I`d still have a 18 year old motor! Maybe I should go new, 7grand for a new 90 horse Merc, add sales tax and what-not and it`s around 8. And I`d still have a 42year old boat! Guy at the dealership was trying hard to get me into a 19ft Trophy, only 2200 down and 200 a month! My arm may be sore but it isn`t gonna be anything compared to the ass whipping I`m gonna get when I pitch a 22,000 new boat!
Slinger

OC
07-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Steve, life is not a practice run it's the real thing. Take the ass whippin like a man it will only hurt for a short time. There must be some way you can justify this new pleasure craft in your mind.

Warren
07-03-2007, 05:46 AM
I feel your pain Steve,
One side of my brain says buy a boat.

The other says don't make payments on something that is going to sit idle for five months .

Some where along the line I am going to make a compromise & buy one. Until that day I am at the mercy of a kind souls who will take me out & I can always fish from shore. But once you fish from a boat and enjoy the mobility it sure is hard to get back on your feet.

I guess if you can afford the payments & not get behind on other bills Go for it!

Oh and by the way.... when you do buy that new boat can I have a ride:hihi: :hihi:

bonefishmon
07-03-2007, 06:27 AM
There are a lot of people looking to upgrade to a 4 stroke. Look for a used motor with low hours. Must be a good deal out there somewhere. There is nothing like having mobility.............go when you want to. Wish I could help.

Phil

Sean Juan
07-03-2007, 08:05 AM
A new boat is a saftey feature - you wouldn't want to cheap out on saftey...

rogerstg
07-03-2007, 12:00 PM
You can spend 8 grand now, and the end up with a 42 yo 17 ft whaler with a new motor worth maybe 10 grand the day after you buy the motor.

OR you can commit to spending about 26k over the next ten years and end up with a boat that rides worse than your Whaler. And you'll lose about another 8 grand the day you drive away from the dealership :eek: . Of course you'll still have your Whaler, but without power the hull will be worth a few hundred instead of a few thousand.:Eyecrazy:

If you need any more math help call me...:D

FredA
07-03-2007, 02:57 PM
There ain't no math in boating.:lildevl:

mikez
07-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Oh hell, just put a couple of oar locks on her. I've gota strong back and two good arms. You find the fish, I'll provide propulsion. The good news is, once my arms wear out, I've got enough boys to keep rowing for the next 20 years!:chuckle:

jfbasser
07-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Oh hell, just put a couple of oar locks on her. I've gota strong back and two good arms. You find the fish, I'll provide propulsion. The good news is, once my arms wear out, I've got enough boys to keep rowing for the next 20 years!:chuckle:

Excellent tip...with hardtail season for the masses coming soon, everyone should be restricted to oars:smokin:

rogerstg
07-03-2007, 07:10 PM
There ain't no math in boating.:lildevl:

So true - I lost my head for a few minutes.:D

bonefishmon
07-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Anybody out there got a motor they can lend to an excellent human being? I know he'd lend you his.......if he had one. Gives his left nut every time he takes someone out fishing and asks nothing in return. If he doesn't get help soon I'm going to start really worrying about his well being especially when the bones and albies arrive. Make a few calls for a friend in Rhoddy. You'll be paying it forward big time.

Phil