Fly reels [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly reels

out2see
07-01-2007, 11:44 PM
I was given a fly reel as a gift recently after an attempted bonefishing trip in Belize on vacation. I have fished all of my life but never fly fished. Anyway, the way reel is made it seems to be left handed (when the line is pulled the drag seems to be opposite). I looked at the reel in Cabelas and I didn't see a left handed model. I'm right handed by the way. Help???

Warren
07-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Most modern reels have a way to change the direction of wind up. If you can state the make & model someone should come along & help.
The easier way is to go to the local fly shop. ( if there is one) & they should be able to figure it out. They can also wind of any line & backing for you and rewind it on the right way.

out2see
07-02-2007, 07:09 PM
It is a Van Staal C-Vex 8 wt reel. There are no fly shops that I'm aware of in the area. Thanks

Warren
07-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Out@see,
I see no one has come forward with an answer, could be no one knows or is out fishing and has not seen your post.
I am not familiar with Van Stall reels but you can give them a call. I got this toll free number from their web site 1-800-718-7335. They should be able to email or fax you directions on reversing the retrieve direction

out2see
07-03-2007, 06:50 PM
I'll have to give them a shout after the 4th. I've tried Cabelas and they can't figure it out either. I'm working nights right now Van Staal closes at 3:00 pm, so I'll try e mail. Thanks for the help

Andre'